Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this upgrade worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so you guys are saying its the GPU is the one that makes the most different and how bout this upgrade

Current laptop: ( look at first post)

Xplorer X6-9200:

i5-2430M Mobile Processor 2.40 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.00 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe Video
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory
everything else is the same as first post
Quote:Ok so you guys are saying its the GPU is the one that makes the most different and how bout this upgrade

No actually as long as the gpu is decent it's the cpu that is more important. The component that is doing its job the slowest is the "bottleneck" and slows the entire system down, only upgrading that component will improve the performance of the system. You can change the graphics setting in dolphin to change the amount of work the GPU needs to do per second. If your settings are too high for your GPU the GPU will become slower at doing its job than the cpu and thus will become the bottleneck of the system. However if the GPU is fast enough to keep up with the cpu than the cpu is the bottleneck.

Quote:Current laptop: ( look at first post)

Xplorer X6-9200:

i5-2430M Mobile Processor 2.40 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.00 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe Video
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory
everything else is the same as first post

Once again you'll see almost no difference at all. The only way you'll have a noticeable improvement over what you have now is by building a desktop.
Well maybe you could upgrade other parts (CPU, GPU) and reduce the RAM because you don't need that much RAM for Dolphin (3GB is fine).
Having an i7 - 2820qm and a GTX 560m, I am running Dolphin 3.0 with 3x native resolution, everything else turned off. I doubt you will get more than that if your specs are any lower.
lol $568 for a single i7 2820qm
You should wait for Ivy Bridge CPU
(10-15-2011, 06:02 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]lol $568 for a single i7 2820qm
You should wait for Ivy Bridge CPU

got the laptop for quite cheap ^_^
Thanks for the info I now understand. I messed with the settings and now im running Brawl 100% with a few hiccups on 3 players and I've found a better laptop at a very good price so i should get about 5-15% (After 3 Hours of calculating it all) speed increase which is exactly what i need to run Wii (GC games are already perfect) games full speed.Just one last question are you sure more RAM wont help when i need to go into EFB to RAM? And if anyone else still cant get dolphin full speed and doesn't have the money to upgrade try to download a specific Revision for each game. Go to the wiki to see which revision is best for which game. This helped me gain 10-15% increase! Still wasn't enough for the more demanding games like Xenoblade, ZTP, and Brawl on R7114 with four players. Which plays perfect without EFB RAM.

(10-15-2011, 11:07 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]Well maybe you could upgrade other parts (CPU, GPU) and reduce the RAM because you don't need that much RAM for Dolphin (3GB is fine).

The computer comes a free 8 GB RAM upgrade so taking that away wont save me money. BTW I'm ordering this through Cyberpower so I can select which parts i want expect GPU if I wanna change that i have to choose another base laptop.
Quote:Just one last question are you sure more RAM wont help when i need to go into EFB to RAM?

Yes. Dolphin only needs 150-600MB depending on the game if you're using a 64 bit build and even less in 32 bit builds. Even 2GB of RAM is more than enough. Having more ram won't improve performance since dolphin simply won't use the extra ram, it doesn't need it.
Pages: 1 2