Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've recently started using Dolphin and I must say it's pretty awesome. I was wondering if certain Dolphin builds perform better than others or if I should just keep using the latest builds available?

I'm able to play NGC games pretty smoothly (100% most of the time with a random hiccup down to maybe 90% momentarily), but Wii games seem to struggle (which I assume is mainly due to my ancient processor).

Do some of the previous builds run better, or do I just have to live with the lower performance on Wii games until I can upgrade my system?

Sorry if this has already been covered. It's late and I didn't want to sift through thousands of posts to try to find these answers.

Thanks for any help!
Always use the last release for stability and performance (Dolphin 3.0) but for other revisions you should read Jmar's thread "Best and Fastest revisions" in Git Revision Discussion forum that could help you
(09-04-2011, 06:18 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Always use the last release for stability and performance (Dolphin 3.0) but for other revisions you should read Jmar's thread "Best and Fastest revisions" in Git Revision Discussion forum that could help you

Okay, thanks for the help.

I'm running the latest current build of Dolphin 3.0 (revision 7719M). I'm pretty satisfied so far I think.

Can't wait until I can upgrade my computer so I can play Wii games.

Everyone who has contributed to Dolphin you rock!
7719 is not the latest 3.0 release. That is an unstable version you should use at your own risk. Download "3.0" from the download page. As for fastest revisions, 6505 or 6515 are usually considered the fastest but are not as stable or compatible as the 3.0 release.
Personally for me 3.0 has run perfectly or almost perfectly with all of my games but then again I have a fast CPU. I've tried other revisions and they have all worked terribly in comparison, even the ones people often recommend. Random bugs, incompatibilities and crashes all around.

So as far as I'm concerned use 3.0 for actually playing the games and use later builds for testing. If your CPU is on the slower side (or, if you want to play games like Super Mario Galaxy, anything but really fast) then you might want to look up the revisions generally considered faster that were mentioned before and see if you can get them to run stable.
(09-04-2011, 11:44 PM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]7719 is not the latest 3.0 release. That is an unstable version you should use at your own risk. Download "3.0" from the download page. As for fastest revisions, 6505 or 6515 are usually considered the fastest but are not as stable or compatible as the 3.0 release.

Thanks. I thought 7719 was the latest 3.0 release. Sorry about that. Tongue I now have the latest 3.0 release and I noticed a massive performance improvement in Mario Kart Wii. I'm now able to play that one at least at almost near full speed.

Very happy now. Smile
You also never gave us your specs.
(09-05-2011, 08:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You also never gave us your specs.

Intel E2160 @ 3.0 GHz
GeForce 8800 GT
4 GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM
Windows 7 x64

I've managed to get GC games to run perfectly at 100% speed, and some Wii games I've managed to get to run pretty close to 100% (~80% with Mario Kart Wii). Everything seems to be fairly smooth and fast. Wink

Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.
Yeah that's about what I would expect for your specs, which means you have configured dolphin correctly.
I've got a semi-related question: Are the Git builds (such as 3.0-71) to be considered more up to date than the rxxxx builds? I'm currently running r7719 and I'm wondering if there's any "goodies" to be had from running 3.0-71 instead.
Pages: 1 2