Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Resource intensity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So... I was playing Mario Kart Double Dash. I got 4 player going. when playing 4 player double dash. The speed was a paltry 46%.

My Specs:

Phenom II 955 Quad 3.2 GHz
4GB DDR3-1600
Radeon HD 6970.

Running D3D11

My CPU was at 51-52% and the speed was 46% which tells me I would have to OC my CPU to 7 GHz, because 3.2 is 46% of 7, not far from the 8.2 GHz world records. So what kind of cooling system would I need to OC to 7GHz. Ill push my BD to 5.2 when it comes out, but thats not for another 7 months, if that will even bring my speed to 100%. Any ideas coughquadcoresupportcough...... ehem!! Sorry... soar throat there. Just wanna ask the experts if they know how I can get to 100%... Any ideas?
(08-22-2011, 11:57 AM)Cheer Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas coughquadcoresupportcough....

This was already tried. The dev that was working on it stopped because he wasnt getting the speedups he expected.
So how do I get my 100% speed on 4 player instead of just 46 ??
Uh... you can't. More players slows down the emulator and two of your cores aren't being used.
So your telling me there will never be a way to get 100% speed. You are saying I have to wait another 10 years for a 7 GHz CPU to come out so my 2 cores will create 100% speed. It sounds to me like dolphin is a resource intensive app that cant be put to full use for several years... or.... Im just sayin.... Crysis 2 will run on my PC pretty close to maxed.... so........... now what for dolphin?? I dont understand[/align]
Clock rate does not have a linear relationship with throughput. Even if you run a cpu at a core clock rate of 7GHz it won't be twice as fast as your cpu running at a core clock rate of 3.5GHz.

It's an emulator, it successfully mimics the behavior of a complex machine through software alone, this is a very inefficient process. If there is only one way to do something but it happens to be very slow/inefficient you do it anyways because you have no choice.

Quote:Crysis 2 will run on my PC pretty close to maxed

That's because it's a pc game. The software is designed to run on your hardware. With dolphin you are using an emulator to run software that was not designed for your hardware (the GC/Wii games).
I dont believe for a microsecond that there is absolutely unequivically no way to run all the games at full speed. I remember when Project 64 couldnt run on my 1500 dollar gaming rig. Now it can because CPUs and video cards evolved. Dolphin was started in 2003. We couldnt do it then. Fine. Its 8 years later. We are in 2011. We have 4, 6 and 8 cores, OC, 8GB+ ram etc. Theres no excuse for this. Maybe the emulator needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. But I dont believe dolphin is the first to release an app that isnt actually and never will be usable.
(08-23-2011, 05:25 AM)Cheer Wrote: [ -> ]I dont believe for a microsecond that there is absolutely unequivically no way to run all the games at full speed. I remember when Project 64 couldnt run on my 1500 dollar gaming rig. Now it can because CPUs and video cards evolved. Dolphin was started in 2003. We couldnt do it then. Fine. Its 8 years later. We are in 2011. We have 4, 6 and 8 cores, OC, 8GB+ ram etc. Theres no excuse for this. Maybe the emulator needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. But I dont believe dolphin is the first to release an app that isnt actually and never will be usable.

i think i speak for every person who understands how Dolphin works (and those who know how emulators work) when i say this...

You sir, are a DOUCHE.

Emulation is NOT a perfect equivalent of actual hardware. As NaturalViolence has already said, this emulator is running on a system that was NOT designed for this software and has to compensate for that. At some point in the future, emulation will be running smoother (further improvements to hardware or more efficient coding) but even then there is no guarantee to perfect emulation

three people who posted before me know what they are talking about responded in a sensible manner and a good explanation and the OP responded with the equivalent of "you aren't trying hard enough"
really now? you really want to be like that?
Wow, he had no idea how emulation works and why it's very slow compared to running PC software with similar graphics and someone took the time to kindly explain it and he responded by being an ass.

I don't see you making a faster Wii emulator at an equally compatible level.
(08-23-2011, 05:25 AM)Cheer Wrote: [ -> ]I dont believe for a microsecond that there is absolutely unequivically no way to run all the games at full speed. I remember when Project 64 couldnt run on my 1500 dollar gaming rig. Now it can because CPUs and video cards evolved. Dolphin was started in 2003. We couldnt do it then. Fine. Its 8 years later. We are in 2011. We have 4, 6 and 8 cores, OC, 8GB+ ram etc. Theres no excuse for this. Maybe the emulator needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. But I dont believe dolphin is the first to release an app that isnt actually and never will be usable.

Easily solvableBig Grin find another program that emulates GC/Wii games on a PC or buy an actual console
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5