Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Resource intensity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I mean 1 thread on 2 cores
Quote:Remember. It took a decade just for the SNES to be emulated quickly. And that was in an era of extremely fast growth of single threaded throughput.
...and yet you need a 2.0 GHz dual core if you want 100% accuracy(currently 99.9% as one game doesn't work and never will).

This shows how taxing accurate emulation is.
Quote:I mean 1 thread on 2 cores

Well that's possible, just not at the same time. You can have a thread jump back and forth between two cores, it just can't use both at the same time.
Ummmm... 2 GHz dual for snes???... I don't know what pc you were using but I was using snes9xw years before dual cores. I was even playing project 64 before those p4 hyperthreaders came out....Confused
Yeah I was going to answer your PM too cheer, but I couldn't so I saw NV had done it already. You should enable your Private messaging, it's in CP under Edit Options...
Yes but you were using an emulator that sacrificed some accuracy for performance in order to be able to do that.
Ok I edited my options
I updated my pm options. it wasn't until I got my gaming rig in 03 I was able to play some pj64 games. But I never saw any accuracy loss in snes on my older pcs
And I answered you with some reading content Wink

(08-24-2011, 10:42 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but you were using an emulator that sacrificed some accuracy for performance in order to be able to do that.

Could you elaborate on that a little? Now I'm curious...
I dont remember that was so long ago. I just used snes9xw and never had a problem. I still dont now
http://byuu.org/bsnes/

Read the requirements on that page.

Bsnes is an accurate Snes emulator, there are no hacks that would increase performance and the entire emulator is ran entirely in interpreter I believe. There is no JIT, no speed hacks and Bsnes is cycle accurate to the real hardware. I don't think you would want to know the system requirements if the Dolphin team took a completely accurate approach for GC/Wii emulation. Let's just say games would probably run at 1 - 5 fps, 5 fps at most if you are lucky and system requirements could easily quadruple from what they are now. Basically a system 4x - 6x or more times powerful than a beastly overclocked Sandybridge (Core i7 2600k) setup would be required.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5