Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dual Video cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does Dolphin support Dual video card power?
My specs are as follows
Nvidia GTX 460 x2
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Processor
4 gigs of RAM
OS Windows 7 64-bit.

I can run every gamecube I've tried at 2X internal resolution + 2x Anti-Aliasing and x1 Filtering plus 1080p external resolution at 60 fps.
I can run Super Paper Mario at the same settings at 60 fps as well. But I get some strange graphical errors, but nothing that ruins the gameplay.

I also do this at DX11

Now when I run Super Mario galaxy 2 at the same settings as above its runs between 30-40, sometimes topping off at 50, but usually dropping random to 15 fps.

I was thinking that Dolphin was just not picking my 2nd video card, is this the case?
It isn't, and it wouldn't help, it's because of your processor. The only thing your graphics card is holding you back is from like 4x internal + 4x ssaa or higher or something.
(08-10-2011, 12:49 PM)vortextk Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't, and it wouldn't help, it's because of your processor. The only thing your graphics card is holding you back is from like 4x internal + 4x ssaa or higher or something.

Its a 3.5 ghz cpu so what do you recommend I do?

My friend has a very similar system but he was able to run the game perfectly.
Overclock it. If your friend literally has the exact same processor speed and is playing it better than you, look at his revision + settings.

15 seems too low unless you mean in like one instance or in really short dips, but not playing at full speed sounds reasonable for both galaxy games with your processor + speed.
(08-10-2011, 01:15 PM)vortextk Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock it. If your friend literally has the exact same processor speed and is playing it better than you, look at his revision + settings.

15 seems too low unless you mean in like one instance or in really short dips, but not playing at full speed sounds reasonable for both galaxy games with your processor + speed.

I don't think my friend has it installed anymore he's not a fan of console games and really just played them for the hell of it. Plus it was an older build.

The drops are just bad really making the game a pain to play.

I'm only worried because I was looking forward to playing Skyward Sword when it comes out. But if the emulator is having trouble with this I fear how it run Skyward Sword.

Edit. Technically my friend has lesser power than me. Since he built his machine a few years before me. Sorry about that.
Who knows, honestly. Galaxy games kind of kick most processor's asses. They're pushing the real hardware too I'm sure but because it's all emulated it's tough to tell exactly how a game will run just based off guessing. Some specific effect might be weird for the emulator and be crazy hard on processors even though on a wii it might be just a simple function. Look up that game's thread in particular and see other users setup, settings and their own framerates I guess.
(08-10-2011, 01:29 PM)vortextk Wrote: [ -> ]Who knows, honestly. Galaxy games kind of kick most processor's asses. They're pushing the real hardware too I'm sure but because it's all emulated it's tough to tell exactly how a game will run just based off guessing. Some specific effect might be weird for the emulator and be crazy hard on processors even though on a wii it might be just a simple function. Look up that game's thread in particular and see other users setup, settings and their own framerates I guess.

Thanks, that's my main concern with Skyward Sword. I can see most major nintendo titles taking full advantage of the wiis system which means Dolphin will be pushed at least for now.

I'll go check the Mario page now. Thanks for the help though.
(08-10-2011, 12:39 PM)xikar Wrote: [ -> ]Does Dolphin support Dual video card power?
My specs are as follows
Nvidia GTX 460 x2
4 gigs of RAM
OS Windows 7 64-bit.

I can run every gamecube I've tried at 2X internal resolution + 2x Anti-Aliasing and x1 Filtering plus 1080p external resolution at 60 fps.
I can run Super Paper Mario at the same settings at 60 fps as well. But I get some strange graphical errors, but nothing that ruins the gameplay.

I also do this at DX11

Now when I run Super Mario galaxy 2 at the same settings as above its runs between 30-40, sometimes topping off at 50, but usually dropping random to 15 fps.

I was thinking that Dolphin was just not picking my 2nd video card, is this the case?

Dolphin doesn't have SLI/CF support, thats mean, the emu NEVER use ur 2nd card.
the game is just more demanding than the others u play thats is why u see thats FPS loose.
Try x4 scaling, no AA and x16 aniso filter
(08-10-2011, 01:47 PM)Alethram Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2011, 12:39 PM)xikar Wrote: [ -> ]Does Dolphin support Dual video card power?
My specs are as follows
Nvidia GTX 460 x2
4 gigs of RAM
OS Windows 7 64-bit.

I also do this at DX11

Dolphin doesn't have SLI/CF support, thats mean, the emu NEVER use ur 2nd card.
the game is just more demanding than the others u play thats is why u see thats FPS loose.
Try x4 scaling, no AA and x16 aniso filter

Thanks

Do you know if there is word of SLI/CF support? Or a possibly of a more hardware based updated?

edit played the game as you recommended, Does help in fact its worse than before slowing down to 30.
It wouldn't matter in the first place, it's not the graphics card holding you back. Other than crazy high resolutions, i.e. high native + super sampling, your graphics card is more than capable. Pretty much all of the emulation outside of anti-aliasing and resolution is handled by your processor, very unlike your regular modern pc game.
Pages: 1 2