Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: alternatives for AA when using dx9?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some games I have to use d9 for, though so far a very small percentage. In these rare cases dx11 gives visual problems, huge framerate drops, etc. The problem of course is the 4x ssaa doesn't work and while I think 9x does to some extent, it kills my computer. It seems that catalyst control center and my drivers don't know how to interact with dolphin so that doesn't work, though I kind of expected that.

Is there anything else I can do or try? I use 7671 at the moment and have a decent older version that ssaa kinda works, 6515, though not great.

I already know some people will say they don't see the difference with AA or 1920x1080 doesn't need it. I can live without it, it'd just be nice if I could get it working and wondering if there are any options. With dx11 I can use it for every game I've tried, 2x 4x or 8x per game basis.
Did you try OpenGL?
AA is broken in atleast 7671 yes. It gives me a black screen, or when a game is already running and you turn on AA it just stops rendering new frames but the game continues playing. I did read it worked at some time, but I forget how far back in revisions. Is there something recent with working AA in opengl I should try?
you could try using modded directX library that enable FXAA
get the latest mod from http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/...58&page=15
Either use a post-processing method such as FXAA or MLAA or find a way to force SSAA through CCC. I know how to force 4x OGSSAA on an nvidia card using nvidia inspector in a way that works with dolphin but since I don't have a modern ati card at the moment I have no idea how you would go about doing it on an ati card.

Try using ati's edge detect filter with SSAA. And make sure you have 4xSSAA enabled in BOTH dolphin and CCC (if you want me to elaborate on why you have to do this I will, but to summarize, driver level SSAA can't increase the internal resolution of dolphin, therefore it needs to be set in both places to achieve the desired goal, it will have an additional performance hit but it should be minimal compared to 9xSSAA in dolphin).

Well I don't have any options for SSAA in my ccc. It might be because of my card, maybe 5000 series and higher only but I'm having a hard time getting something to concretely say one way or the other. I have been reading on fxaa just tonight, I'll look at that too. Using edge detect or box AA with either enhance or override application setting and 4x ssaa in dolphin is seemingly producing no difference. The only thing different is the tiny change from 0-4x in dolphin. If I tick the morphological box games just black screens on start lol. I'm not sure if there is a more "hacky" way of doing mlaa like the fxaa stuff popping up?

*Edit* Popping in those beta fxaa files into the dolphin folder + 4x ssaa is ok, better than anything I've had before with dx9 but not really as good as using AA in 11, still a start.

Maybe that was just a placebo and it's not working...this is an awful game to test, I should do it on something brighter because aliasing is already not a huge deal when 80% of the screen is super dark, heh.
Quote:maybe 5000 series and higher only

Indeed it is limited to 5000 series and up. So is MLAA if I recall, although they may have officially added it in recent drivers (you used to need 3rd party software to do it).

Quote:Using edge detect or box AA with either enhance or override application setting and 4x ssaa in dolphin is seemingly producing no difference.

Well yeah, because it's msaa.

Quote:Maybe that was just a placebo and it's not working...this is an awful game to test, I should do it on something brighter because aliasing is already not a huge deal when 80% of the screen is super dark, heh.

????? Aliasing is not effected by environment contrast, color pallettes, color grading, gamma, or anything else I can think of that you might mean by "brighter".
It's harder to see in certain environments, that's what I mean. High contrast environments will produce more noticeable aliasing.

And yes, I know it's msaa, I'm telling you what I tried just to make sure, or otherwise I hear "not enough info" later.

It seems there is no possible AA solution when using dx9 for me, though atleast 4x native is possible with some revisions so that makes it all a bit better.
I have a lighter class load this fall than I usually do so I might have time to work on the shaders a bit. Would you be more interested in having 4xSSAA fixed or having a post-processing method like FXAA added?
I'm just interested in any AA working with dx9 at all =P ssaa I think is better quality, but I'm sure people with lower end computers could benefit more from fxaa as it seems to be pretty light. I wouldn't want to tell you which to work on, I mean I have no idea of what's involved. Like I said for now 4x native is a pretty good solution, I totally forgot that was even an option in the newer revisions I've mainly used so far. Whatever you do end up doing, thanks, though.

I think the people already using fxaa seem to have nvidia cards and forcing it in their drivers will make it work even with dolphin. The other way, by just putting in the files with the game's exe doesn't work, or atleast not for dolphin yet since it's not quite the same as a regular exe, like dead space 2. I just started playing that and fxaa works with it fine, I think better than the AA ingame already as it wasn't that good.
Pages: 1 2