Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Linux always slower than Windows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After trying Dolphin 3.0 and quite several builds previous to it, I started to seriously wonder about it.

I knew on previous builds OpenGL was quite slower than DirectX9 even on Windows. But on 3.0 I noticed this was "fixed", in the sense that now OpenGL plugin ran almost as fast as DirectX on Windows (game I'm testing being Super Mario Galaxy 2, with acceptable speeds).

So I gave it a try on Linux, provided it can only use OpenGL plugin, and it keeps running considerably slower than on Windows, and laggy. Even Super Smash Bros Melee, which runs nearly perfect on Windows, runs slow and laggy. Though I noticed some settings options slightly differ from Windows, I thought OpenGL plugin would be virtually the same as Windows considering I use the same Dolphin settings.

What can be causing slowdown on Linux? Or am I doing something wrong?
It's a known issue. In fact, I don't know why Dolphin is slower on Linux than on Windows. Maybe developpers do, but they don't post often in forums.
in my linux (arch) stay closing when playing fatal frame 4. And it really is but slow on linux than on windows..

Please fix this problem!
Some of my information is from 1 month ago, other is from last night Wink I'm only on laptops, which restricts me a bit on drivers...

A 6 weeks ago, I was getting similar performance on Intel GPU. I was going back and forth with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 I had with decently performing Intel graphics drivers. The performance was nearly identical on Windows and Linux. HOWEVER, recent clean installs of my system with Intel graphics drivers (edgers) has proven far slower. I haven't had time to figure out what versions of the Intel GPU drivers introduced such drastic changes.

Last night... on Ubuntu 11.04 / Mint 11, I managed to get the latest Windows 32 bit version working on Wine! Dolphin 7689 running DirectX9 on my Nvidia NVS 4200M... it works, but significantly slower than native Windows 7. I wonder if wine is not using dual-core as well as native Windows.

Overall, the quality of current Intel and Nvidia OpenGL performance is total crap. I'm using the latest (nvidia-current) drivers on fresh installs - and it just does not deliver. I'm booting up Windows 7 to do my Dolphin gaming for now...
Well, anything but gfx backends should perform about the same if not better on Linux. However, OpenGL is slower overall and Linux gfx drivers are currently terribad, both - OSS and propertiary.
(08-04-2011, 07:25 PM)fagoatse Wrote: [ -> ]...OpenGL is slower overall and Linux gfx drivers are currently terribad, both - OSS and propertiary.
everything what was needed to explain

gfx drivers are not optimized for gaming
(08-04-2011, 07:25 PM)fagoatse Wrote: [ -> ]Well, anything but gfx backends should perform about the same if not better on Linux. However, OpenGL is slower overall and Linux gfx drivers are currently terribad, both - OSS and propertiary.
(08-04-2011, 08:19 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]gfx drivers are not optimized for gaming
SOURCES or it didn't happen.
Or more appropriately, don't spread information which was true 5 years ago. GFX drivers are on par with the windows drivers meanwhile, at least the proprietary ones (although the OSS ones reach similar performance nowadays for older GPUs).
Windows 64 bit has a speed up. 32 bit Linux and Windows versions should be similar.
(08-04-2011, 11:27 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Windows 64 bit has a speed up. 32 bit Linux and Windows versions should be similar.

But almost everybody says that the Linux version is slower than the Windows one...
You know what, I'm going to install Linux Mint 11 (Was already planning to do it, becuase of school) and am going to test the differences between Windows x64 / Linux Mint 11 x64 (Ubuntu 11).
Will take some time, because I have to manually search and install those damn drivers, but I will try to report back with a few benchmarks Wink.

EDIT: Okai, I've installed Linux Mint 11 x64 successfully, now I'm going to install Dolphin etc.
Pages: 1 2