Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is Wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an amd 9950 proccessor and an ati 4870 graphics card. Now the games are running slow as i noticed the cpu isn't running fully. My cpu is a 3 ghz oced quad core. I do have dolphin in dual core mode but i am only getting 1000mhz out of it. What's the problem. I have the lated dolphin.
which games are running slow ?

keep in mind dolphin only uses 2 cores, so your cpu will never get beyond 50% use.

3ghz phenom should be quiet ok to run some games in full speed, but it's definatly not enough for all games.
(06-07-2009, 06:00 PM)Iulius Wrote: [ -> ]which games are running slow ?

keep in mind dolphin only uses 2 cores, so your cpu will never get beyond 50% use.

3ghz phenom should be quiet ok to run some games in full speed, but it's definatly not enough for all games.

Its not using the full 6000mhz even its only using 1000. I am running collesium. Mario kart. Wrath of cortex.
Disable Hyperthreading
(06-08-2009, 02:49 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Disable Hyperthreading

How?

LuisR14

in the pc's BIOS
phenom has no hyperthreading i think.

(06-08-2009, 02:47 AM)ddkshah Wrote: [ -> ]Its not using the full 6000mhz even its only using 1000. I am running collesium. Mario kart. Wrath of cortex.

the mhz you see at top of the window are not the mhz of your CPU but the ones of the emulated cpu (powerpc)

Thats why its xxx/486mhz for gamecube and xxx/729mhz for wii.

as this is the clock of the powerpc in gamecube/wii.

theoretically, you should have 100% performance when you got 486/486mhz (only works with idle skipping off)

but even that is not always correct.

to see how your cpu is working look in task manager. if its 50% then its fully working for a quadcore at dolphin.
Oops, I messed Phenom with i7 Tongue And yes, I agree with what Iulius said.
(06-08-2009, 04:05 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Oops, I messed Phenom with i7 Tongue And yes, I agree with what Iulius said.

It's not a 50 percent but 20-30% with dual core enabled. Also when i am n meu the clock is higher then when i am playing the game.
Also you do not add the ghz of the cores together, you only have four separate cores running at 3.0 ghz each. Programs that take advantage of multi-core can split the task up onto separate cores to improve performance.

Since Dolphin does not and will not be coded to take advantage of quad cores, only two cores will be used. Also any AMD processor is still a bit slower than a Core2Duo/Quad, what is the FPS you are getting by the way?

As mentioned the mhz displayed on the Dolphin window is the mhz of the emulated Power PC CPU, not your CPU.

Also ATI cards are known to offload to the CPU hindering performance in CPU intensive emulation, this issue is not as predominant in the newest catalyst versions though.

Keep in mind not all games are going to run at full speed or with decent performance, games with more complex 3d geometry are going to run quite slow. Also due to incomplete graphics emulation, there is a bit of overhead in graphics emulation that causes overall slowdown and lag on even the most beastly of rigs.
Pages: 1 2