Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lag on high end system.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I've got a decent system. Which can run games at 150% speed when audio throttle is disabled. So I'm not really having any speed issues (except in some areas). That's not my problem. The problem is an occasional stutter in the gameplay.

When playing normally, its slight but noticable. But when audio throttle is disabled you can tell I'm going from 170% speed down to 0% speed for a second, and then back like nothing happened. I'm curious what could be causing this. If its a cache thing, or loading or what.

I'm working on making a High resolution texture pack, and I would like to make videos with fraps (nearly no slowdown) except this jitter is ruining the quality of my videos. please note that this happens regardless of the resolution, texture loading, or fraps recording.

I'm using R7530 because some newer revisions are having texture loading problems.

My system specs:

Core 2 Extreme (quad) qx9650 @3Ghz
8 GB DDR2-1066
GTX460 1GB OC

I'm hoping that I simply just have to change some settings, or move some files onto a ramdisk to fix this problem. However, I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help given.
Overclock your CPU ! (if you know what you're doing)
3Ghz isn't enough for Dolphin + Fraps and dolphin only uses 2 core
(07-24-2011, 11:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock your CPU ! (if you know what you're doing)
3Ghz isn't enough for Dolphin + Fraps and dolphin only uses 2 core

I've had my system up to 4Ghz stable, and it made no improvement (I ALREADY HAVE 100% SPEED)

I'm talking about a stutter, most likley caused by a loading issue... and Having a quad core does make a difference because I can be running dolphin on cores #0 and #1 while dedicating fraps to #3... and I could also dedicate a core to the DSB so lets think about solutions.

I don't put info into my post just to have it ignored. How could overclocking help with a jitter if I'm ALREADY RUNNING THE GAME AT 200% SPEED?????

I don't want to sound like a jerk (although, I'm sure I am)... Your idea may have some merit, if something doesn't run fast, go faster. but the fact that you dismissed the specifics of my situatilon, and did not offer an explaination as to why having a slow (3Ghz? ogod. even for dolphin that's not bad esp with 12MB cache) would cause such an issue.

You also must not have taken notice that the jitter is constant no matter what the settings, and with or without fraps. If I can get up to 500% speed using the lowest settings, then why do I still need to overclock just to get rid of a stutter?

Someone please give me an answer that at least has some logic behind it
Try not using audio throttle in the dsp settings.
Just tested again to make sure.

With or without audio throttle enabled, I still get the lag. The only difference is that it is 100x more noticable because instead of going from 30fps to zero for a second, your dropping from 50fps or higher to zero for a second.
Okay, try toggling lock threads to cores. If still no help, you'll have to list your Dolphin settings and the games you're trying to play.
Still get it... Anyways, I haven't noticed it anywhere else, (but I rarely play other games) but it always happens at the same time, during the opening of twilight princess. I have this video which you can see the jitter in. you'll have to forgive the crudeness, this was early in my retexture and there are alot of discolored textures. that - once again - has nothing to do with the problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nFsSv_Xp...ll&list=WL

(and yes, I know its not fullspeed when fraps is running, but its good enough (minus the jitter))
the jitter is at 13 seconds into the video and again at 1:05. don't worry about the audio being a little off, that was fraps fault.

And yes, I did try toggling lock threads to cores, no difference.
It is most certainly a hardware problem. What kind of hard drive are you using?

(07-24-2011, 12:44 PM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, try toggling lock threads to cores. If still no help, you'll have to list your Dolphin settings and the games you're trying to play.

It's common practice to diagnose hardware before software. Tongue
3 SSDs in RAID-0 primary drive
2 1.5TB HDD for storage. (5700 RPM, but high density (3x500GB discs), on par with normal 7200 drives)

Dolphin and the iso are on one of the storage drives. I don't have much room on the raid array, are you thinking moving everything would help, or are tehre specific directories / files which would benefit (such as a cache folder, or just the iso itself)... I'm not sure how much a hard drive will affect it since I can copy my entire ISO from one of my storage drives to another (or to itself even) in only a few seconds. (just tested, got a 100MB/s transfer rate... I could try a ram disk if you think it will help.
(07-24-2011, 05:10 AM)StepDragon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm working on making a High resolution texture pack

Do you have the slowdowns with a fresh install of dolphin + standard iso without any HR texture ?
Pages: 1 2