Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My GameCube died.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In order to replace my dysfunctional Cube with something more reliable than another used one (something that won't have a power button that sticks and a disc drive that can't read anything), I'm thinking about getting a computer with ungodly amounts of power that could run Dolphin with every conceivable enhancement in 1000080p and make it look like Internet Explorer in terms of resource consumption. Not a particularly good comparison, I know, but I believe you know what I mean.
Problem is, I'm not sure where to find a computer with that much power.
More importantly, I have no idea how much it would cost. A lot, I know, but just how much?
i5/i7 sandybridge(k version for oc to 4.0ghz++)
+ (ati5770||nivida260)or better
+ 50$cooler
= gc/wii@1080p

around 700-900$

gc games perfect around 2.8ghz-3.2ghz
wii games need above 3ghz++ (open end)
(ghz with intel i-serie, amd is a joke against it they need 300-500mhz more)
I'm sure you'll get dozens of responses here anyway, but there are also dozens of threads discussing what type of computer is good for Dolphin and what specs you should be looking for. Try searching and reading a few threads first.
(06-29-2011, 06:40 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure you'll get dozens of responses here anyway, but there are also dozens of threads discussing what type of computer is good for Dolphin and what specs you should be looking for. Try searching and reading a few threads first.
Ah, I always forget about search functions. Sorry about that.

(06-29-2011, 06:39 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]i5/i7 sandybridge(k version for oc to 4.0ghz++)
+ 50$cooler
= gc/wii@1080p

around 700-900$

Congratulations, you just made me feel incompetent. As I always do.
I've been looking at buydirectpc.com, and I'm pretty sure it's the only site on the internet where one could buy a computer that I can actually understand a word of.
At first glance, it seems like one of their so-called "weapons of mass ownage" would be what I would need, but at the same time I think they're talking about resource-consuming PC games and not emulated games, which I presume wouldn't require quite as much processing power.
I apologize for being so incompetent and annoying, but could someone fill me in on which of their options would be about what I would need, bearing in mind that I would probably wind up trying to run iTunes, Firefox, and Dolphin simultaneously?
(06-29-2011, 07:44 AM)Death Eye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2011, 06:40 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure you'll get dozens of responses here anyway, but there are also dozens of threads discussing what type of computer is good for Dolphin and what specs you should be looking for. Try searching and reading a few threads first.
Ah, I always forget about search functions. Sorry about that.

(06-29-2011, 06:39 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]i5/i7 sandybridge(k version for oc to 4.0ghz++)
+ 50$cooler
= gc/wii@1080p

around 700-900$

Congratulations, you just made me feel incompetent. As I always do.
I've been looking at buydirectpc.com, and I'm pretty sure it's the only site on the internet where one could buy a computer that I can actually understand a word of.
At first glance, it seems like one of their so-called "weapons of mass ownage" would be what I would need, but at the same time I think they're talking about resource-consuming PC games and not emulated games, which I presume wouldn't require quite as much processing power.
I apologize for being so incompetent and annoying, but could someone fill me in on which of their options would be about what I would need, bearing in mind that I would probably wind up trying to run iTunes, Firefox, and Dolphin simultaneously?

dolphin is massive cpu heavy...
"emulated" means that every system call needs to be translated...
if you want to know more about emulation... use your favorite search engine

i just found out that the gamecube performed 13 Giga-Flops(peak) with all system (MPU, Geometry Engine, HW Lighting Total)
i7-920 = ~44 GFlops
ati5770 = ~520 GFlops

the gpu only emulates a small part.
the cpu needs to emulated and sync every other tasks...
dolphin is using 2threads...
jeah its bad math... but think about it... emulation is 4-10x times slower

you should be happy with a newer amd above 3.3ghz x2/x3(cheaper alternativ)
gpu power is still needed for 1080p... ati5770/nvidia260++

(06-29-2011, 06:32 AM)Death Eye Wrote: [ -> ]My GameCube died.

Did your Wii die too?
How do you plan to go about dumping your games?
(Don't give me the answer I'm looking for)

(06-29-2011, 06:32 AM)Death Eye Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking about getting a computer with ungodly amounts of power that could run Dolphin with every conceivable enhancement in 1000080p and make it look like Internet Explorer in terms of resource consumption.

Might i suggest Alienware?
Good in terms of quality, but people here says it is for dumbs who don't know to build PCs and have tons of money to throw in the fireplace..
I dunno, for me it isnt so bad since here hardware is so expensive the contrast is not that high between a built PC and an alienware, plus it is good stuff after all. I dont have one because I dont have the money for an alienware anyways, whether it is bought from the store or built by me with the same hardware....
(06-29-2011, 11:48 AM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]Good in terms of quality, but people here says it is for dumbs who don't know to build PCs and have tons of money to throw in the fireplace..
I dunno, for me it isnt so bad since here hardware is so expensive the contrast is not that high between a built PC and an alienware, plus it is good stuff after all. I dont have one because I dont have the money for an alienware anyways, whether it is bought from the store or built by me with the same hardware....
Hyperbole, Alienware is excellent. And i wouldn't go around advising pc building to non-savvys.
(06-29-2011, 02:21 PM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2011, 11:48 AM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]Good in terms of quality, but people here says it is for dumbs who don't know to build PCs and have tons of money to throw in the fireplace..
Hyperbole, Alienware is excellent. And i wouldn't go around advising pc building to non-savvys.
there are cheaper preBuild Gaming Rigs with OC from the reseller and 2-5years warranty
30-50% saving against alienware... dont be dump
mind me asking what is with the broken cube?
Pages: 1 2