Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphine depend on CPU rather than graphic card.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I'm new here , first I would like to thanks all people for their efforts on Dolphin project , and I thought I could help maybe in improving the emulator Smile

When running games I noticed that Dolphin highly depend on CPU on most games , I'm running a high end PC , The CPU usages most of the time is ~90% while my graphic card usages won't cross ~15% ( see screen shot ) I can run games at 100% speed but I think that is too much , if my CPU speed is 2.8 I doubt I will hit 100% .

I thought if it might be possible to balance the usages between the CPU and GPU to help the performance , I remamber the Pcsx2 used to depend on CPU , but since they added the D3D hardware acceleration feature , it boost the emulator up to 220% and my CPU usages is ~50% and GPU 60~90%.

I'm not developer , but it's an idea if it possible Smile keep up the good work .
Thanks.

Note : the Graphic setting is set to D3D9 AAx9 AF x16 (Auto window size) 1920x1080 perpixel light and EFB RAM , if something wrong with my PC ?
the emulation part is cpu heavy.... no way to change this...
1core emulates the main core
1core emulates the vga core
(+1 optional core if lle is used)

rendering is already passed to the gpu
there is no way of generating more threads without lossing synchronisation
every new thread generated would need so much sync controlling...(in short terms)
that no speed increase is achived

the difference between ps2 and wii... are serveral years in hardware... (you cant compare these both)
ps2 in 2000 with ~300mhz
wii in 2006 with ~730mhz

you cant compare the mhz with pc systems....
but there is a huge difference between the power of the ps2 and the wii
Quote:For starters the PS2 was the weakest out of the three. Secondly, if the information posted is true that would suggest that the Wii's CPU is at least 4 times more powerful then the Cube's.The PS2 was not more powerful then cube only the box was, this is the reason why the game cube's and the xbox games were more often then not better looking then PS2

and the wii hardware is so much different to the x86/x32 system architecture that every sys call needs to be emulated

and you are not the first with this brilliant idea

high-end pc? with only 2cores?... alright your decision...
*flames deleted*
Lol . E8400 is ..well used to be one of the best CPU back then . and was #7 fastest gaming CPU before i7 Smile
I can play all games at 1080 max setting and hit more than 100 fps , I can hit 180fps in RE5 with highest setting on 1080 average of 130, and average of 212 in Dead Space 2 .
It's good but kinda old , as long it is able to hit +60 on 1080 no need to change it Smile.
Thanks for your reply.
(05-16-2011, 10:05 PM)K_88_D Wrote: [ -> ]Lol . E8400 is ..well used to be one of the best CPU back then . and was #7 fastest gaming CPU before i7 Smile
I can play all games at 1080 max setting and hit more than 100 fps , I can hit 180fps in RE5 with highest setting on 1080 average of 130, and average of 212 in Dead Space 2 .
It's good but kinda old , as long it is able to hit +60 on 1080 no need to change it Smile.
Thanks for your reply.

mmm not that bad...
But let's not forget RE5 is a PC game and Dolphin is an emulator hence more juice is required since this kind of emulation is heavier.
(05-16-2011, 10:27 PM)Maverick Hunter X Wrote: [ -> ]But let's not forget RE5 is a PC game and Dolphin is an emulator hence more juice is required since this kind of emulation is heavier.

Yes I'm aware of that , I know how emulators can be heavey , the RE5 example was just a reply to high end pc , that my system is still able to kick out new games Smile

It was just an idea if it possible to share the load with GPU to boost and improve dolphin as I saw with Pcsx 2 , thanks to Danzen, now I understand .

I wish the best luck for all people on Dolphin project.
Just a note for the future, CPUs and GPUs are each optimized for different kinds of computing; GPUs are only useful for tasks that suit its massively-parallel architecture, and just because it's possible to use it for a certain computation doesn't make it more efficient.