Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tales of Symphonia cutscene glitch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. I'm having a problem with Tales of Symphonia. More specifically, the prerendered cutscenes in the game.

It's easy to notice - the sound skips (wait, wait, hear me out!) quite a bit. The video does not skip or stutter at all.

It always happens at the exact same spots in the cutscene - rather weird. Even the way it skips is exactly the same.
It never happens in the actual game, just in the prerendered cutscenes. The regular game is about perfect.

I know it's not a speed problem for 4 reasons:
1. The FPS counter stays at 60 the whole time.
2. I've tried frameskip. Didn't change anything.
3. I have turned down the resolution. No change.
4. (Most importantly) I've ran Dolphin while the CPU was at 4.5GHz (overclock) and while at 3.8GHz. There was no change.

Yes, I'm using DSP LLE (recompiler).

The problem does show up in the audio dump.

I've tried changing a lot of options - DSP LLE on thread, using the DSP LLE interpreter, disabling idle skipping, XAudio2 instead of DSound for the backend, JITIL recompiler, disabling audio throttler - and probably some other stuff I don't remember. I must have missed something...can anyone help me with this? Or is this a known issue, or unfixable? (I did search a lot, but hey, I don't know)

Also, one other short question - what is the difference between D3D9 and D3D11 as it pertains to Dolphin?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i7 2600K (currently stock)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (stock)
Dolphin r7442 (most current at time of post)

ydderf45

those cutscenes are real time not prerendered Tongue
but yeah i too am experiencing the same problems :/
(04-10-2011, 12:55 PM)ydderf45 Wrote: [ -> ]those cutscenes are real time not prerendered Tongue
but yeah i too am experiencing the same problems :/

Actually, no. I am talking about the few prerendered ones in the game - the one after the developer/publisher logos and before the main menu, for instance. Or, the one it shows you when you start a new game.

(Occasionally the audio does cut out in the game for me, actually...but it's because I have my settings set too high right now. Maybe you should try bringing your settings down?)

Come to think of it...I just tested it, and there was no stuttering on the one that it plays when you first start a new game (after the settings screen). The only cutscene I have seen where it stutters is the one before the main menu when you first start it up.

Weird. Now I feel clueless Undecided
I did search. I went through 13 pages of "tales of symphonia sound" and either I missed something, or no one has this exact problem - all of the other threads talk about missing instruments, or skipping in-game, or garbled audio, or asking why it doesn't work with DSP HLE, etc.

I never saw a mention of cutscenes anywhere. No one seems to have this problem, where the skipping shows up in the cutscenes and not in-game. In fact, I have seen people say that it runs perfectly, which makes me think that I just have some obscure setting set wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
all of the threads come back to 1 thing.

HLE audio is bad.
I'm using LLE.
(04-10-2011, 10:55 PM)Fej Wrote: [ -> ]In fact, I have seen people say that it runs perfectly, which makes me think that I just have some obscure setting set wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Most of these alleged people are not really gamers, so I wouldn't trust them 100%. There are a bunch of problems in games where the devs haven't bothered to look at. So if you get no answer, then there is nothing much you can do about it.

(04-11-2011, 03:01 AM)gaiachaos Wrote: [ -> ]Most of these alleged people are not really gamers, so I wouldn't trust them 100%. There are a bunch of problems in games where the devs haven't bothered to look at. So if you get no answer, then there is nothing much you can do about it.

I get what you're saying. Thanks.