Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: If you Dolphin guys...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
don't add a "Browse for "User" directory" option or something similar to Dolphin 3.0 so we can stop with this medieval manual copy/pasting of the User folder every time we try a new revision

I
WILL
SCREAM VERY LOUD IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!!!!

but I'll probably still love you in the morning. Just a little bit less.
I see you lurking trying to think of something witty to say NeoBrain.

Just say "OK" and then I will make babies with you.
No easy way to do it, because user folder can change sometimes like when new configurations are added etc. this needs to be discussed, indeed.
in the event of menus being changed, just copy your title folder and manually set your games up again.
(03-23-2011, 03:29 AM)inteGReddy Wrote: [ -> ]in the event of menus being changed, just copy your title folder and manually set your games up again.

Well then "Browse for Title Folder" then. The only other things I can think of (and I'm clearly no expert) outside of what's in the title folder that has to be copied each time would be per game settings/configs and your 2 LLE files from the GC folder, that's why I said User folder as a whole in the first post.

None of that stuff should really have to be copied each time when there has to be a fairly simple way to implement a static folder you can browse to with those necessary bits of user content in it, just like you browse for your ISO folder. *stoner voice* This is like, the 21st century man. We can clone people and shizz, no reason to be manually copy and pasting.

AND if as you guys say things can change menu wise between revisions THEN YOU SHOULD STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO COPY THEIR USER FOLDER WHEN THEY ASK HOW TO MOVE THEIR SAVES BETWEEN REVISIONS. God knows how many unnecessary bugs people are getting and reporting from reading that advice here on the forums.
guys?
i think all user folders should be empty with a new rev...
and dolphin should check if the file is present.
if not... create a standard config file....

but your savegame files are uniq... no way to overwrite them.
new rev... empty title folder... think about it Wink

oh... and my rig is playing on standard config every game at 100%...
Big Grin
This wouldn't save more than a few seconds, I at least am down to 5 seconds for moving over the user folder. Now while I agree it would be slightly convenient to have a registry entry, so the user stuff could just stay the same place no matter the revision you used, still, for a hypothetical final version, this would be useless as there's no longer a need to move around stuff.
(03-23-2011, 05:33 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]This wouldn't save more than a few seconds, I at least am down to 5 seconds for moving over the user folder. Now while I agree it would be slightly convenient to have a registry entry, so the user stuff could just stay the same place no matter the revision you used, still, for a hypothetical final version, this would be useless as there's no longer a need to move around stuff.

Considering that there will never...

ever...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

be a final version then you agree. Good.

"hypothetical final version" of Dolphin. I'm coming after you for the hospital bill when my sides split from laughing.
what's so hard with pasting new revision over old revision?
i don't even backup my saves or my configs but they always stay the same whenever i update
(03-23-2011, 09:30 AM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]what's so hard with pasting new revision over old revision?
i don't even backup my saves or my configs but they always stay the same whenever i update

Now see maybe you can just copy and paste an entire new revision over an old one and still keep your stuff. Maybe you are right. BUT I've seen people discourage that because it can cause bugs and they say you should just copy and paste your User folder into the new revision instead.

Either way, whether it can cause bugs or not, whether you copy the User folder to a new revision or copy the new revision over your old one (some people keep multiple different revisions too remember), no matter what the bottom line is it would be much more convenient for users and make more sense and be more modern etc etc to just be able to browse for a User folder in Dolphin in the same way that you browse for an ISO folder. Theres really no excuse to not have that available (other than of course "nobodys gotten around to doing it yet" which is fine but doesnt mean it shouldnt be done).

I sure could think of a number of reasons, but totally don't feel like explaining obvious stuff right now :>
Pages: 1 2 3