Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin locks framerate at 30 fps in some games...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
lock threads to core doesn't benefit any HTT processor.
(03-12-2011, 01:35 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]lock threads to core doesn't benefit any HTT processor.
I stand corrected, sorryz
(03-12-2011, 12:50 AM)Schwimmer Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2011, 12:34 AM)DomiStyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2011, 09:44 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]ballz.
Troll.
Meh, this guy knows a lot about emulating, even if he chooses to answer half assed answers in this thread, trust me. No use in just getting mad, it's just those questions are being asked many times and people who work hard on emulating a console on high end computers are sick of it.
Sure, but you still can answer in a better way.

(03-12-2011, 12:50 AM)Schwimmer Wrote: [ -> ]Either way, I believe D3D9 plugin is faster than D3D11 at the moment. Use it instead.
In the Direct3D9 window: Disable CPU access, disable emulating format changes, and disable EFB Scaled Copy. In the advanced window, tick Disable Fog. Your resolution seems fine I believe, nothing to do there...

After setting these settings, make 2 tests:
1. Try setting Limit Framerate to None and see if the game actually goes faster than Auto. If it does, manually set the framerate limiter to the value needed for the game. It's probably a bug if that's the case.
2. Try ticking "Lock Cores to Threads". This usually works better, I believe, for turbo frequency-included CPUs on non-Windows7 systems, but who knows, it might speed things up for you too.

If it's still slow let us know!

Edit: also, if you right click a game and select Properties, I think there are a few speed hacks in there. But I personally find them ultimately useless. One of them sped up a game with slow loading screens though.
Non of these settings affected the fps in any way.
Except disabling the Framerate limit makes some menu parts alot faster but that's not a problem at all.
The framerate stays at the same and drops at the same places with Direct3D11, Direct3D9 and OpenGL.
Deactivating EFB scaled copy makes the game unplayable because of some color filling the full screen when ingame.
I checked out a few of these speedhacks but there is no one for Goldeneye 007, but it increased the speed from Twilight Princess a little bit. Anyway, Twilight Princess runs pretty good without it too.

As said, I am happy with everything I can get out of Dolphin. I am happy with 20-30 fps too but if it's possible to get it higher it would be even better. Wink

I believe the hacks you're talking about are not speedhacks (most of them anyways), they're just hacks to make certain games work. I referred to hacks like MMU Speed Hack, but really, it's not effective.

And yeah...I really don't know what causes it then, the settings i mentioned give me great results on almost any game I play so far. I'd wait for better replies and maybe someone will figure it out.

Also, did you try any optimized (and compatible) builds?
(03-12-2011, 02:57 AM)Schwimmer Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the hacks you're talking about are not speedhacks (most of them anyways), they're just hacks to make certain games work. I referred to hacks like MMU Speed Hack, but really, it's not effective.

And yeah...I really don't know what causes it then, the settings i mentioned give me great results on almost any game I play so far. I'd wait for better replies and maybe someone will figure it out.

I tried the builds from Link_to_the_past with optimized settings, Release Candidate 2 and updated my 7320 to 7329.
Still the same, with all of them.
Some other builds I can try?

Is it possible that the RAM is the cause?
The lag spikes are only when (atleast I guess) the game is loading data.
I try to get my hands on some more RAM next week and will test it again then.

Thanks for the help.
(03-12-2011, 03:44 AM)DomiStyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2011, 02:57 AM)Schwimmer Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the hacks you're talking about are not speedhacks (most of them anyways), they're just hacks to make certain games work. I referred to hacks like MMU Speed Hack, but really, it's not effective.

I tried the builds from Link_to_the_past with optimized settings, Release Candidate 2 and updated my 7320 to 7329.
Still the same, with all of them.
Some other builds I can try?

Is it possible that the RAM is the cause?
The lag spikes are only when (atleast I guess) the game is loading data.
I try to get my hands on some more RAM next week and will test it again then.

Thanks for the help.
I'm really not sure. I roll with 4 GB RAM, but I believe my Dolphin's RAM usage is mostly static and bearable. Maybe you should consider using Game Booster or so to quickly eliminate the unneeded parallel processes running on your computer, so you could clear some used RAM?

Also, I believe there was a hack for faster disc transfer rate on the properties of the game, but I don't know if it'd work. You really got me curious me now lol, I was sure the games are just generally slow.
gamebooster doesn't do shit. its all smoke and mirrors.
(03-12-2011, 07:33 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]gamebooster doesn't do shit. its all smoke and mirrors.
Yeah well, I thought he could use it to decrease the amount of parallel processes in case he really gets to 100% RAM usage with Dolphin and see if it causes the problem, because I suppose 1GB is kinda on the edge.
windows would swap out allocated but not in use memory for the dolphin process to load.

but lol.... 1GB on a setup like that is just stupid.
I don't see why you would want to play the game with any higher fps? Ive pruposely locked Dolphin at 30 fps and i have a one month old high end gaming computer i built myself.

There are sound issues when the fps is too fast, well for me anyway (Very likely because i dont understand or trust the settings), and locking the fps to 30 lets the sound keep up with the gameplay Tongue

Unless you for some reason needed to record in 50/60 fps which anyway, without a secondary hard drive and a very decent system would be pointless.

As long as you're getting a very nice, steady 30 fps i dont think you really need any more. Smile Also if you have 1Gb of ram srsly consider installing more or upgrading, i think my nans pc is running on a gigabyte.

Get with the times! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3