Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game saves on memory card not available after ISO compression
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

mofukr

I noticed that after I compressed a Wii ISO, the Game Saves that I had related to the ISO that I was using are not available (most likely no longer associated with the new file).

Is there anyway to edit the game save data to point to the new Game file?

I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Try this... beginner's way.
You need to know the root folder for the new game iso and the old one.

User/Wii/title/XXXXXXXX

After find them out, copy the DATX.SAV from the old one to the new one.

That should do it.

mofukr

(05-27-2009, 04:11 AM)downloadaja Wrote: [ -> ]Try this... beginner's way.
You need to know the root folder for the new game iso and the old one.

User/Wii/title/XXXXXXXX

After find them out, copy the DATX.SAV from the old one to the new one.

That should do it.

Thank you for the reply. I think I may have been unclear in my first post. I mean - I saved my game while in-game to the (virt) gamecard and now when I open the game (which is now .gcz), the game does not see any previous saves.

If you reply actually does apply to my question, I may need further explanation.

Thanks again!
Sorry then, not a beginner's way then...

let's try expert's way... lol

so let says your old game extension was .iso and after compressed it became .gcz.

Let assume your root folder for .iso is Dolphin/User/Wii/title/00010001 and the root folder for .gcz is Dolphin/User/Wii/title/04000000
The bold numbers is what you need to find out.

Dolphin/User/Wii/title/00010001 /XXXXXXXX/data you should found DAT0.SAV, DAT1.SAV, etc depends on how much saved data you made.

Now copy them to Dolphin/User/Wii/title/04000000/XXXXXXXX/data (be sure you had run the game on Dolphin, otherwise the XXXXXXXX won't showup yet)

XXXXXXXX = some random numbers

Are you using SD card?

Edit: then check this http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-374.html
downloadaja: that makes no sense.

I'll check into this...
Well, it seems to work ok here...

mofukr try deleting the contents of you /User/Cache/ folder and then running a game.
Yeap, it's worked fine for me too. I compressed all my GC games recently and it didn't effect any of my memcard saves. They all still worked just fine.
@envisaged0ne: I believe he is talking about wii games Wink

just for the record I have ~70 GC games and ~15 wii games, all scrubbed(if wii) and compressed by dolphin - and all work the same as original image Smile
D'OH, you're right! I was reading the replies, using examples of converting to .GCZ formats and got it in my head they were GC games. I've never tried Wii games cause I don't own a Wii
Well, there will be a revision for this, I think. Tongue

Thanks for confirm it, I knew there must be a way to copy my save files. Cool
Tongue

mofukr

(05-27-2009, 05:24 AM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]downloadaja: that makes no sense.

I'll check into this...
Well, it seems to work ok here...

mofukr try deleting the contents of you /User/Cache/ folder and then running a game.

You are exactly correct! Big Grin I screwed up... aside from compressing the ISO, I also took the same opportunity to change my directory naming scheme (housekeeping) and hosed it.

I checked it by changing it back and going into an old Dolphin instance. My saved game was fine and associated correctly.

Now that raises the question... what files do I need to copy from the OLD dolphin instance to the new dolphin instance to fix the new one?
AND
How do I make it so that rearranging the directories is possible without losing my saved game data (breaking it again). Huh

Thanks! Hopefully this will save others some trouble.... unless I'm the only dope that has done this. Smile

P.S. Maybe there is an easy way to make dolphin recognize the same game has moved and prompt for the action to move the associated paths within the user data or not (if you are intentionally duplicating it i.e. testing, etc.)
I'm sure there are plenty of things on the dev plate but could be a simple fix/add that would make life easier. Let me know if you think it's possible and/or worthwhile.

P.S.S. I also noticed that while it's possible to see what directory the file is located in by right-clicking the game listing and opening the location, the location is not indicated in any of the Properties tabs. This is most likely not a huge problem most of the time but when I duplicated the same Game Title but pointed to a new location, there is no easy way to tell which is which unless you right-click and open the directory location in Explorer.
Again, not sure if this is easy to fix but another suggestion to take or leave.
Hopefully my observations are not bothersome. Shy
Pages: 1 2