Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: lags in Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It´s not like other threads because it´s about lags who are also on original systems.
My idea of a resulution a option to overclock the systems like in MAME.
*facepalm* This is an emulator, reworking games to run at higher framerates than they were designed for would be a mess and would ultimately create syncing problems.
Current dolphin can already run games at higher framerate then they were designed already.

So you're wrong period.
I mean in some games there are slowdowns because of the limited system performance of the gamecube.
An idea were to emulate the Cpu at WII speed (even the original WII can do it with Hombrewprogramms but not fully compatible).
I think that the developers are looking to create a fully functional GC/Wii Emulator to start out, anything more than that and i think you'll have to wait until further down the line.
Quote:Current dolphin can already run games at higher framerate then they were designed already.

So you're wrong period.

I'm talking about running a game at a higher framerate while keeping the gamespeed and audio speed at the native speed. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that.
I agree with NaturalViolence, but I think he meant really overclocking the powerPC that Dolphin emulates to fix game slowdowns that was on the original console. I'm not sure if Dolphin emulates the powerPC with a fixed clock, I think not, but I could be wrong. PCSX2, for example, emulates the original PS2's CPU clock, and there is a option to increase this clock (they do not recommend tough, as it cause several problems in their emulation, but that must be because PS2's hardware is very hard to emulate as it doesnt seem not to follow a bunch of hardwares defaults, so the devs has to be veery precise with the emulation). I think that's what Spielewürfel suggested, but as I said, I think Dolphin does not emulate the original consoles clock (they're even different from one console to another) so that's not possible as Dolphin let your CPU give all of its power to emulate the powerPC as fast as possible.
Im really not sure of that, tough, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you mean each Gamecube has it´s own CPU clock with the rest is exactly my idea.But i don´t think it imulat the CPU at max speed but i didn´t know it.
no, I meant the Gamecube and Wii clocks are different (Dolphin emulates both of them). I think Dolphin just emulates the CPU hardware structure, not the clock speed, so you can achieve higher speeds than the original Gamecube and Wii CPU could if your computer has enough power. What limits the speed during the emulator is the framelimiter, that can be turned off in the emulator settings.
I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but as I said I could be wrong.
Quote:but I think he meant really overclocking the powerPC that Dolphin emulates to fix game slowdowns that was on the original console

But dolphin doesn't have any of the slowdowns that are on the native hardware. This can be easily proven by running NSMB the lost levels on both dolphin and the wii. Dolphin clearly doesn't have any of the slowdowns that the wii has as long as your hardware is powerful enough.

This is why this whole thread doesn't make sense to me since Spiele keeps suggesting that dolphin has the same slowdowns as the native hardware and that we should fix this by "overclocking" the emulated cpu, this is simply not true.

@Runo
I agree completely with your post. Emulating clock rates on dolphin would be tricky since the GC and wii use different clock rates for everything and we don't even know what most of them are.
Pages: 1 2