Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the deal? I cannot max any serious Wii game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My CPU is running @ 3.7 STABLE OC. I know I can max out and run any gamecube game, any PS2 game, but when it comes to the Wii, I just cannot get max framerates. On the other hand...I see people with lesser specs than I achieve max frames. I do not understand this and this heavily frustrates me.

I defragged my computer, ran disk cleanup. I don't even think OC'ing my CPU to 4.0 would help, there is something wrong.
What resolution are you playing at? Try lowering the resolution and see if that would help.
720p. Even in windowed mode or in low res @ fullscreen it still doesn't cut it.

...Is something wrong with my RAM Timings? Should I changed it from stock to 5-5-5-15?

Do I need to OC my RAM?

What about my CPU/NB?
It's all about the game you're trying to play and the settings you're using. You do have a decent enough PC to play most games well, but it would be best to list "all" of the emulators settings you're using and the game you're trying to play along with the Dolphin build number, then I can help you adjust what needs to be adjusted.
Sonic Colors: r6600
Donkey Kong Country Returns r6600 (has the best frames from what I've played)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (This I max out...but this is easy to max)

General settings for Sonic: http://i51.tinypic.com/dpet5i.png
Is it my RAM timings? My RAM Frequencies? my Northbridge frequencies? What do I need to change in my Bios to make this stuff work.
1) I can't tell if you're using the Dx9 video plugin from those shots, but you should be using it.
2) Use the Jit compiler, not JitIL
3) See what turning off lock threads to cores does for you
4) Try turning off safe texture cache
5) Turn off audio throttle in the dsp options
6) The frequencies you mention will not change anything
7) Try an older build with the settings I mentioned here
8) Some games just run slower than others, if after all of this has been tried and there is no speedup, waiting till some of the bugs are fixed or getting a stronger cpu is the only other answer
If you can't run Super Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl at full speed then something is wrong with your setting. Try what Starscream said: use the recommended JIT comiler, unchecked lock threads, and unchecked safe texture. Ram timing and other pc technique don't really matter as proven in PCSX2, but this is dolphin so I'm not 100% sure on this.
Quote:Is it my RAM timings? My RAM Frequencies? my Northbridge frequencies? What do I need to change in my Bios to make this stuff work.

None of these will affect dolphin at all. Just follow starscream's advice.
Dirext3D9 = blackscreen. Not only for this game, but for New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
I can say that I'm getting pretty decent frames now on Sonic Colors. 23-24 under heavy load from the game and 25-27 through most of it. Using r6600.
Also...I loaded up GPU-Z and under Dolphin's load my Graphics card is about at 21%. Isn't it supposed to be at 100%
Pages: 1 2 3