Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Zelda TP for Wii: 30 fps or 60 fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm getting 30 fps at 100% speed, but I'm seeing random posts here and there of people who are getting 60. What's the deal? I'm not doing any frame limiting or frame skipping. It looks very smooth, and I get 60 fps in other games. This one is just always 30 for some reason. Wii version, not GC.
This is a 30 fps game. Fullspeed is 30 fps. At 60 fps the game will run at double speed.
(10-08-2010, 09:28 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]This is a 30 fps game. Fullspeed is 30 fps. At 60 fps the game will run at double speed.

Explain these posts then:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-124...#pid115562 and http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-124...#pid115579

Are they just awkwardly running the game at double speed?
The max is indeed 30 FPS. Setting FPS higher won't make a difference. But changing the VPS value will alter the speed of the game, since all emulators heavily depend on CPU power.

Just be aware that some users here speak nonsense sometimes (including myself).
Quote:Setting FPS higher won't make a difference. But changing the VPS value will alter the speed of the game, since all emulators heavily depend on CPU power.

If EITHER fps or vps is off from the native value it will alter the game speed. Not just vps.

Quote:Explain these posts then

They are benchmarking. When people benchmark they leave the framelimiter off to see what framerate the system is actually capable of.
It's automatically set to 30FPS. Anyone running it at 60FPS is doing it 2x as fast.
(10-08-2010, 11:31 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]They are benchmarking. When people benchmark they leave the framelimiter off to see what framerate the system is actually capable of.

Now why would anyone do that? The emulator is a resource-hog at best --- let alone very inefficient, yet still nascent. There are better benchmark programs out there that can effectively utilize the GPU.

Well, that's just my opinion. I don't get some of you ambitious folks.
(10-09-2010, 07:02 AM)gaiachaos Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2010, 11:31 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]They are benchmarking. When people benchmark they leave the framelimiter off to see what framerate the system is actually capable of.

Now why would anyone do that? The emulator is a resource-hog at best --- let alone very inefficient, yet still nascent. There are better benchmark programs out there that can effectively utilize the GPU.

They are benchmarking Dolphin on different hardware for the Dolphin-related purposes, not to see how powerful their systems are. Also, GPU makes much less difference than a CPU in emulation. Almost all emulation work (in all emulators) is done on the CPU. Just because an emulator plays games doesn't mean it renders the graphics like a computer game does.
Quote:Now why would anyone do that? The emulator is a resource-hog at best --- let alone very inefficient, yet still nascent. There are better benchmark programs out there that can effectively utilize the GPU.

They are benchmarking dolphin, not their system. They are trying to see how fast dolphin is running. This massively helps us analyze certain issues such as the tp hyrule field slowdown.