Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy Sooo Slow :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm having a problem with Mario Galaxy,it's too slow!But I play all GC games with full speed!Are there a configuration to make full speed?Or it's the difference between Wii and GC?
Quote:CPU:Intel Pentium D Dual-Core 2.4 GHz
Quote:GPU:Nvidia 8400 GS

I'm sorry but these are insufficient for running super mario galaxy fullspeed. You will need to upgrade your hardware in order to attain fullspeed.
Only with Mario Galaxy???

Remember,I play all GC games with fullspeed!!!
Super Mario Galaxy is a Wii game. The Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube :/.
Pentium D is not any good ,even Pentium D 3.06Ghz + Nvidia 9800Gt only play SMG 20-25 FPS
Duo to high temp,Pentium D can't OC .You should buy a new CPU not for SMG but most wii game will be slow on your current specs
I got my E5300 2.6Ghz for 56USD
OCed 3.4Ghz : 45-60 FPS in SMG
Quote:Duo to high temp,Pentium D can't OC

You clearly never owned a pentium D. Pentium Ds can overclock much better than any Core2/core i3/i5/i7/PhenomII/Athlon II etc. out today. They also run much colder than todays cpus. You can easily overclock a 2.4 GHz pentium D to 4 GHz on air cooling provided you have a decent mobo. I agree that he should get a newer cpu since pentium Ds are still crap even at a high clock rate but to say a pentium D can't be OCed due to high temps is absurd! In fact that was the whole problem with netburst in the first place if you remember, intel sacrificed everything else to produce cpus that could achieve insane clock rates (you ended up with cpus that had very high clock rates but terrible performance per clock compared to the competition). It ended up biting them in the a** since they ran up against the heat wall and they had to come up with a new architecture that was much more efficient in performance per clock (which is what conroe essentially was).

Quote:Super Mario Galaxy is a Wii game. The Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube :/.

I'm surprised you would say that Billiard. You of all people should know that makes little difference. Wii games don't necessarily take more computational power to emulate, it's just that this particular game is difficult to attain fullspeed with. Problem is that he clearly hasn't played any of the GC games that are difficult to run at fullspeed. Most wii games run at fullspeed on nearly any modern dual core system with a modern video card, no matter how crappy.

Quote:Only with Mario Galaxy???

This particular game is very hard to attain fullspeed. As I said before you need to upgrade BOTH your cpu and your video card if you want to get decent performance with this game. You may have been able to achieve fullspeed on the GC games that you have tried so far but that doesn't mean you can achieve fullspeed on all of them. Many GC games would not run anywhere near fullspeed with those specs, wind waker is an example.
Nope,I owned Pentium D .It died 6 month ago because of 80c temp(no OC,fan speed 4000 rpm).I used it to record alot video on youtube with the hell slow speed
I say any real dual core 2.4ghz >= Pentium D 3.06Ghz
Here is one of video record on my pentium D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hhNtbmjcM
Wow. I'm guessing you were using a crappy stock cooler and either it got dusty, you had the fan speed set far below the recommended, or something else caused it. A CPU overheating without OCing is extremely rare, you were very unlucky. I owned a Pentium D 920 (2.8GHz presler) before I got my Q6600. Easily overclocked to 4.6GHz ON AIR with full load temps of 62C and prime95 stable. And it's widely known that they are some of the most overclockable x86 CPUs ever built, in fact I'm pretty sure that only Pentium 4 cedar mill can beat preslers in a overclocking ability. Presler Pentium Ds can reach 5.4GHz with high end liquid cooling.

However I cannot explain what happened to you, I really can't. All I can say is don't make the generalization that Pentium Ds can't overclock and generate a lot of heat because neither of those are true and some quick searching or asking on forums will prove me right (example: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/dis...html#sect0 ). For some reason your air cooler was performing far below it's rated thermal dissipation, that's the only thing I can think of, as to why, I don't know.

Although your right about a 2.4GHz Conroe/wolfdale easily outperforming a 3GHz pentium D. Pentium Ds may have been able to reach absurd clock rates but the performance per clock was aweful compared to todays cpus. I went from a 2.8GHz PD OCed to 4.6GHz to a 2.4GHz Core 2 quad OCed to 3.2GHz and the difference was huge.
I took Pentium D out to clean dust then i put it in ... Suddenly,it was too hot(I might do sth wrong) ....so i bought a new CPU and main board.It still working till now but i can't let it burn my house Tongue
P.S the 4000 rpm HSF sound like a jet plane ,really annoyed me.I replaced it with 1900 rpm HSF
Well as I said Pentium Ds don't produce a lot of heat, it's just that your HS wasn't removing a lot either, don't confuse temperature (amount of thermal energy emitted divided by amount absorbed by surrounding objects) with heat (amount of thermal energy emitted).
Pages: 1 2