Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A question for Core i7 owners.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm interested to know what FPS those with Core i7 CPU's, decent video cards and memory are getting with the LLE audio plugin and Copy EFB -> Ram in Dolphin?

Please test the following games with the LLE audio plugin and/or Copy EFB -> Ram and let me know:

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Zelda: Windwaker

Resident Evil Zero/Remake/4

I'm interested to know what your FPS is in the observatory in SMG1, spaceship in SMG2, and Bowsers Lava Lair in SMG2 with Dolphin tuned for performance.

I would appreciate it if someone can do this. I have a brand spanking new system on the way with a Core i7 950 @ 3.06 Ghz, 2 TB HDD, 6 GB DDR3 1600 Ram in Tri-Channel, 2 EVGA Geforce GTX 460's.
I also have an i7. It's a 956 3.2Ghz though. You shouldn't have any trouble running it with that rig. Just know that the emulator doesn't actually take advantage of all 4 cores. It only really uses 2 cores and they don't plan on optimizing it for more then that since there would be little benefit.

However with what you have it should run the best that the emulator can run. It depends on your game and settings used. Some games may slow down in places with the wrong settings (even if your computer is ultra fast) so getting the settings right can help speed up some of the problem games.

The main game I have been playing thus far is Twilight Princess. I've been getting 60FPS in most places and 30 FPS in large places like Hyrule field areas. Just know that the DX9 plugin will be slower in this game when your in Hyrule field unless you have a high end card.. I am currently using the OpenGL plugin since I am having crash issues when switching screen modes.

My video card is a 8400 GS and certainly falls short of your video card, so you may be able to get better performance out of higher resolutions then what I'm getting since the only thing really holding my rig back right now is my low budget video card. Tongue

Oh and always check the SVN builds in the SVN section of the forums. Newer builds in the future could speed up games and better performance. So I'd recommend those over the default 2.0 download you see on the main page. Wink
Cool, have you tested games with the LLE plugin yet? Will there be any gain over my Core2Duo E8500 and 9800 GT? While faster emulation with LLE and EFB to Ram would be nice, even getting decent speeds in areas where my current Core2Duo E8500 and Geforce 9800 GT struggle would satisfy me. Tongue
If you bought pre-built (ex: Alienware, Dell, Ibuypower, etc) you got punked.

3.06 ghz would take me ~5 seconds to get to on any i7.
No, this is a custom build and I plan on taking it to 3.5 Ghz - 4.0 Ghz. I'm interested to know what performance with the LLE audio plugin and/or Copy EFB -> Ram will be like.
(09-07-2010, 07:08 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]No, this is a custom build and I plan on taking it to 3.5 Ghz - 4.0 Ghz. I'm interested to know what performance with the LLE audio plugin and/or Copy EFB -> Ram will be like.

-LLE audio plugin for me is an absolute mess and destroy framerate in some games by 50%
-EFB copy to ram is only necessary in like 1-3 games out of the 15 I have
-i'm using the 6167 64 bit 4.2 SSE revision

I have my rig overclocked up the ass. my i7 is at 4.4ghz w/ ht paired with a highly oc'd 5870. No game will give you any issues, but you still need to set it up accordingly. Some games you can get away with 9x SSAA +16xaf, but usually 4x SSAA + 16xaf is the best.

Every single game runs full speed, but like I said this is with EFB copy to texture for a majority of games (efb copy to ram is only for LOZTP, dragon ball z BT3, and new super mario bros).

-new super mario bros however runs full speed with efb copy to ram to fix coin issue ONLY if I turn off 4x SSAA.

All games I run are at 1080p and with the direct3d9 plugin:
-Super mario galaxy runs full speed with efb CPU to efb access enabled (for pointer to work correctly), 4x SSAA, 16xaf, efb copy to texture. No slow downs throughout the entire game.
-Legend of Zelda TP runs full speed with 4xSSAA, 16xaf, and efb copy to ram, LOZTP hack. No slow down throughout the entire game.
-Windwaker works with EFB copy to ram with 4xSSAA, 16x AF, and efb copy to ram, LOZTP projection hack enabled to fix graphics blurriness. No slow down through the entire game. However, I have not found efb copy to ram necessary for this title so I run with efb copy to texture and 9x SSAA.

I've found other games that make use of EFB -> Ram to produce certain shadow and lighting effects in combination with CPU -> EFB access. Resident Evil 4 makes use of EFB -> Ram for the infrared scope, certain shadow and lighting effects. So LLE on thread doesn't even help framerates with the LLE plugin even though you can run LLE on it's own dedicated core with the Core i7 Quad Core processor?
(09-07-2010, 09:40 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]I've found other games that make use of EFB -> Ram to produce certain shadow and lighting effects in combination with CPU -> EFB access. Resident Evil 4 makes use of EFB -> Ram for the infrared scope, certain shadow and lighting effects. So LLE on thread doesn't even help framerates with the LLE plugin even though you can run LLE on it's own dedicated core with the Core i7 Quad Core processor?

-Running LLE on its own dedicated thread is not recommended and will usually yield poor results
-DSP produces much less buggy sound, performs A LOT better.

-There isn't one game where LLE hasn't been one of the most atrocious sounding plugins i've ever heard lmao.

-Dolphin only really utilizes 2 cores

-CPU to EFB access is meant to fix IR pointer issues and problems, I leave this option off for every single game (at least the ones I have) except for super mario galaxy 1 and 2 which require it for the pointer to work properly

-EFB copy to ram, like I said, is only needed for certain games with specific issues. In this scenario, a highly clocked core i7 + a high end gpu can get away with it turned on + 4x SSAA on most games (except new super mario bros). However, like I said before, EFB copy to texture on most games provides the same experience as EFB copy to ram so I have that enabled + more AA.

-Make a text file to write down which games need EFB copy to ram due to graphical errors

-I can't speak about RE4; don't have it
Yes, the lle plugin is quite bad even for i7 processors. I have that processor you're buying (good purchase, considering it's now down at least $200 in price)

EFB-> ram on the other hand doesn't really slow down any games in newer revisions. I just tested on the games you asked (RE4, TP, SMG2 observatory)
there was zero speed difference or graphical difference, everything ran at full fps (hyrule field on 27-28fps in both texture/ram)

Minimap showed up correctly in zelda though which is a plus.

The only thing that can possibly ruin the experience is using LLE audio
For example in NSMB it's unbearable crackling and static sounds make it not suitable for playing plus FPS will drop
(09-08-2010, 01:51 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the lle plugin is quite bad even for i7 processors. I have that processor you're buying (good purchase, considering it's now down at least $200 in price)

EFB-> ram on the other hand doesn't really slow down any games in newer revisions. I just tested on the games you asked (RE4, TP, SMG2 observatory)
there was zero speed difference or graphical difference, everything ran at full fps (hyrule field on 27-28fps in both texture/ram)

Minimap showed up correctly in zelda though which is a plus.

The only thing that can possibly ruin the experience is using LLE audio
For example in NSMB it's unbearable crackling and static sounds make it not suitable for playing plus FPS will drop

Sorry, but saying there is zero difference in average FPS with EFB copy to ram in new revisions is false. Granted, if you're getting something like 100 fps with efb copy to texture and then drop to 75 fps with efb copy to ram it won't matter since you're running full speed anyways and you won't notice.

-27-28 fps on hyrule field is not full speed.

-EFB copy to ram effects games differently; for example new super mario bros will halve the FPS compared to efb copy to texture.

-efb copy to ram in zelda is why I stated it is "required" (due to the map issue; no other problems i've seen other than that between the two).

-EFB copy to ram ALWAYS results in a performance hit compared to efb copy to texture.

-Always use EFB copy to texture if you can get away with it (if the game has no graphical errors with it).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5