Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Am I out of luck? (specs thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Xtalarge

I'm trying to play Metroid: Other M at 640x480 on Dolphin since my Wii's laser stopped working, but I can't get it to run at a half decent speed. I figure it's because of my setup but I'd like to make sure before I jump to any conclusions.

Video card: GeForce 8800 GTS (640mb) oc'd to 600/900
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo 6600 (2.40GHz, not oc'd)
2gb DDR3 ram

You think this should be able to run Other M at standard def? If not, is there anything I can do about it? The obvious measures would be to overclock my CPU and upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit but since I'm not sure how much they would help I'm not inclined to try them until someone could verify that they'll actually make an impact.
You're not out of luck if you overclock that CPU. Overclocking will make a huge difference because it directly affects your processors ability to perform operations.
If you look at the screenshots in my overclocking thread you'll see that I posted a few screenshots that SHOW that it makes a difference.

You could overclock that processor to around 3.6ghz on decent Air cooling. You'd get full speed, or close to it, at 3.6ghz.

I have no idea if upgrading to windows 64-bit will make a difference, however, because I use 32bit windows.
even my core i7 at 3.5ghz doesnt get full speed through out the game. but i have it running in HD soo....
(09-04-2010, 04:27 AM)Ketchup Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea if upgrading to windows 64-bit will make a difference, however, because I use 32bit windows.

Slightly, about 3-5fps on average. Still enough to warrant an upgrade

CrysisGamer

for this computer, don't even think about overclock. and never do that. it just fucking your computer.
Overclocking won't fuck anything up. Ignorance fucks things up.

You could increase the frequency of any computer on the planet to as high as the BIOS will allow and it won't ruin anything. The worst that would happen in this scenario is it wouldn't boot.

Saying things like "don't even think about overclock, it just fucking your computer" is stupid for a few reasons. The first reason is that your grammar, punctuation, and spelling is absolutely disgusting. The second reason is that it is just plain wrong.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
haha. ocing isn't without it's dangers but is good way to bring performance to you computer without upgrading. sometime the bios thermal throttle won't save a cpu in time or especially if the readings are off. also, doesn't stop a noob from overvolting components.
If you had bothered to read my overclocking tutoral then you'd know all about overvolting.

Overclocking isn't going to damage components. Voltage and heat will damage components, but not if you are paying attention to safe maximum and following the rules of a safe Overclock.

If you ruin your computer by overclocking it is simply and only because you were not paying attention (I.E. Ignorant) or being impatient.
I'm just stating that ocing isn't without the dangers. I know all about overvolting. Hell, I even overvolt my gpus.

edit: had a glimpse of of you tut. I will say gj but you seem so adamant that there are no dangers if people follow ur tut and calling people ignorant. lets play a scenario with a user with a quad core i7 who decides to to disable his other cores and set it for a single core single thread and start ocing. what would happen Wink? Your tut doesn't warn anything about that.
disabling cores and using single threads would reduce power usage, and would increase overclocking potential.

I see what you're saying but you said it the wrong way.
Pages: 1 2