Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [LINUX] Dolphin Linux doesn't run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi all!
Is there anyone who successfully tried to run Dolphin emulator under Linux?
I last tried with the AUR package (it downloads and compile the last svn with dependencies), but the best answer I got was: the game seems to starts, but only a black screen appears!! no errors, no freezes...
It is the same for 2 different games.
I run ArchLinux on a dual core and a radeon X1600. Now its open source driver "radeon" support OpenGL 2.1 (through Gallium), so I should be able to run it...
Any suggest?
Thanks!! Smile
I have a similar problem on Linux. When I try to start a game Dolphin closes sometimes and other times it runs the game perfectly Undecided.
(08-27-2010, 01:58 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar problem on Linux. When I try to start a game Dolphin closes sometimes and other times it runs the game perfectly Undecided.

You are lucky that some times it runs.... in my case it never run! Sad
Or better... the window opens and the cpu goes to 100%, but nothing happens!
Do you see the game when you do ALT+TAB?
(08-27-2010, 02:12 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Do you see the game when you do ALT+TAB?

ehm... I'm not a noob! Big Grin
ALT+TAB rises up other windows in the background...

This is always what I get:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7531/schermatas.png
It's soooo strange!!! Confused

glxinfo says:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV530
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

dolphin log says instead:
27:35:012 Source/Plugins/Plugin_VideoOGL/Src/GLUtil.cpp:352 N[Video]: glX-Version 1.4

HuhHuh
I'm not sure if the open source drivers are really good enough to run Dolphin meanwhile..
Do they expose NPOT texture functionality for r300-r500? If not, that's most likely the culprit here... (on the other hand, I don't know if the blob would expose the extension.. Then again, I don't know if Dolphin would be able to run with the blob on r300-r500 either...)

FWIW, r600c is working fine for me, albeit with some glitches
uhm... this could be a valid reason! Confused

I looked at http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature and it says:
"Hardware doesn't support ARB NPOT textures fully." for R300/R500... doh! Dodgy

Do you think it will ever be fixed? When I read "HARDWARE doesn't support" I only think there is not a solution... Undecided
Well, if you (or anyone else) could confirm that it works with fglrx, that'd make it clearer that the problem is due to some unsupported feature in the OSS driver.

In fglrx, the NPOT extension is reported as being supported. Just not sure whether it's actually _supported_ (by emulating it) or whether they just say so.

EDIT: FWIW, this might be possible to fix in Dolphin (with some effort). I doubt anyone is willing to do this work though, sorry..
Unfortunately these cards (X1000 series) are not supported anymore by fglrx, so an OSS driver was developed... we must downgrade to Xorg 7.3 to make fglrx work!! Dodgy

When I'll find a bit of time I will reinstall Ubuntu 8.04, even if I remember lots of problem during building some libraries needed by Dolphin, and last time (about 1 year ago) I wasn't successfully. Sad

I'll make you up-to-date for any news Smile
I hope someone of good will will fix this in Dolphin one day.... Angel lots of people own this series of cards!

djedje

I have the same problem on my gentoo , each time I got a black screen and 100% Cpu . I have tested with the software renderer , but no sucess . I also try to compile many svn builds from 5851 to the last .
Otherwise I have an NVIDIA card : Geforce GT 120M , with the lastest driver 256.44 .

Distribution Gentoo ~x86

Uname -a :
Linux gentoo 2.6.35-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Tue Aug 17 11:58:35 CEST 2010 i686 Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Glxinfo:
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 256.44
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.50 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Dependency packages :
g++ : 4.4.4
wxGTK : 2.9.1
xorg-server : 1.8.2
glibc : 2.12.1

libgtk : 2.20.1
libsdl : 1.2.14
nvidiacg : 2.1.0017
libxrand : 1.3
libxext : 1.1.2
libglew : 1.5.5
libcairo : 1.8.10
libao : 1.0.0

I think , the problem is an upgrade of one of these package , because no builds works with this configuration . Tomorrow I will try on ArchLinux , to see if I also have the problem.

EDIT : add some information about the distribution
Pages: 1 2 3 4