Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Quad Core Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The PS2's architecture allows for much easier use of multiple CPU cores in emulation than the GC or Wii do, simply because the PS2 has all kinds of coprocessors, whereas the GC/Wii only have a CPU and a GPU (and the starlet, which we HLE anyway though). For the PS2, you "only" have to offload the emulation of one of the chips onto a separate thread, for Dolphin.. meh.

Dolphin already makes use of 3 CPU cores when both the GPU and the LLE DSP emulation run on their own thread, be happy with that.
Plus OpenMP can use yet another core, but it doesn't help that much.
Yeah, any FPS gains via OpenMP are more of placebo than anything else though...
Can we just make a sticky thread called "Why no quad core support?" and link a bunch of threads like this to it. Maybe then this question will stop getting asked every other day.
Btw most of guys here got a dual core and it does the job quite fine... Just a question : if Dolphin supported and were optimized for quad core would it be detrimental for people who got only dual core systems?
Even with dual core support Dolphin has had its share of issues...FIFO errors n stuff...not even sure if it's all clean now, dunno if the random crashes might have to do with it *shrug*
(08-13-2011, 06:51 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Btw most of guys here got a dual core and it does the job quite fine... Just a question : if Dolphin supported and were optimized for quad core would it be detrimental for people who got only dual core systems?

Well was the Dual Core update with Dolphin detrimental to single core users (Pentium 4, Core Solo)?

(08-14-2011, 12:18 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2011, 06:51 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Btw most of guys here got a dual core and it does the job quite fine... Just a question : if Dolphin supported and were optimized for quad core would it be detrimental for people who got only dual core systems?

Well was the Dual Core update with Dolphin detrimental to single core users (Pentium 4, Core Solo)?

Is it really comparable?
Yes, it is.
(08-14-2011, 03:29 AM)LReyomeXX Wrote: [ -> ]My Graphics Settings

My settings for Zelda Twilight Princess GameCube Version

As you see, even though I have a quad core system with HT enabled, making 8 cores out of 4, I don't need to do much to get the game running at full speed. So am I worried about quad core support? NO.

Specs are in my signature for reference

It's easy for you to say that since you've got one of the most powerful CPUs out there. But many people got less powerful QC CPUs (like AMD's) which would highly benefit of a "better" multithreading (ps : I know the devs can't do this).
Pages: 1 2 3