Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin error on start up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Keitou

Every time I try to open dolphin i recieve the same error:

"Dolphin.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I may be wrong but i believe my system meets all the requirements to run it.

DirectX9 installed
AMD Athlon, XP 2000+
1.66 GHz, 1.25GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
and the file itself is on an external hardrive with 660GB of free space.

Can someone please explain for me what i'm doing wrong ^^'
Yeah, this is not Dolphin related as far as I know, this has something to do with you Windows installation.

And believe me man, you'll not get playable speeds on that rig Wink.

Keitou

(08-19-2010, 07:21 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, this is not Dolphin related as far as I know, this has something to do with you Windows installation.

And believe me man, you'll not get playable speeds on that rig Wink.

Could you explain more why pc can't run it? your answer doesn't explain the issue at all with my pc's specs, my pc is able to run the sims 3 and portal with no trouble at all it should really be able to handle a simple emulator.
(08-19-2010, 08:09 AM)Keitou Wrote: [ -> ]Could you explain more why pc can't run it? your answer doesn't explain the issue at all with my pc's specs, my pc is able to run the sims 3 and portal with no trouble at all it should really be able to handle a simple emulator.

Emulation and pc games are not equal. A PC game is coded to run natively on the platform.

Wii games are coded for a powerpc-platform and all instructions have to be translated to x86 through intepretation. This is very cpu-intensive and is not something any processor can do.
Mind you even NES, which has a 4mhz processor, requires about 300-500mhz processors to be emulated at full speed.

Someone can probably give a lenghty explanation, but comparing Dolphin simply to running games like Sims 3 is not feasible. Running all games on dolphin at full speeds (or near it) takes a lot of system resources.

All being said and done your rig probably wont run any games on dolphin past 30-40% speed so an upgrade might be imminent.
Dolphin, pcsx2, and modern emulators are anything but "simple"
your cpu doesn't support sse2, so yeah, might as well upgrade.
(don't underestimate emulators Tongue )
My old computer has about the same specs as you have now and it got 5 fps constant in game on super smash bros melee, which is one the lowest end games you can play on this emulator.
Your CPU doesn't support SSE2,you should buy a dualcore which speed is above 2.4Ghz(better get Intel because of SSSE3 support)
A powerful graphic is required,buy Nvidia 8600GT or Ati 4670
There's a requirements thread stickied somewhere and is relatively easy to find, it's always a good idea to read the requirements before trying to use any software. Could you imagine if you bought a game or piece of software and couldn't run it because you didn't meet the minimum/recommended requirements? Wink

As mentioned your CPU doesn't support SSE2 so there is no way for you to run the emulator and even if there was it would be hopelessly slow on such an underpowered and slow processor. You need a new processor and likely a new motheboard. It would just be better to buy a Wii unless you plan on buying/building a new system for other reasons besides emulation. A Wii is going to be a much cheaper investment than buying/building a new system, it will be fully compatible with all games and full speed as well. Just something to think about before you go splurging on a system to run one emulator.

Keitou

(08-19-2010, 02:20 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]There's a requirements thread stickied somewhere and is relatively easy to find, it's always a good idea to read the requirements before trying to use any software. Could you imagine if you bought a game or piece of software and couldn't run it because you didn't meet the minimum/recommended requirements? Wink

As mentioned your CPU doesn't support SSE2 so there is no way for you to run the emulator and even if there was it would be hopelessly slow on such an underpowered and slow processor. You need a new processor and likely a new motheboard. It would just be better to buy a Wii unless you plan on buying/building a new system for other reasons besides emulation. A Wii is going to be a much cheaper investment than buying/building a new system, it will be fully compatible with all games and full speed as well. Just something to think about before you go splurging on a system to run one emulator.

i have a wii, i downloaded this to play gamecube games only as i heard it was the most reliable system for that, however i think i should just give up after all theres no point having an emulator cost more then buying all the games you want to play on it
(08-19-2010, 05:39 PM)Keitou Wrote: [ -> ]i have a wii, i downloaded this to play gamecube games only as i heard it was the most reliable system for that, however i think i should just give up after all theres no point having an emulator cost more then buying all the games you want to play on it

Well, Wii does play gamecube discs as well.
Dolphin is just a fun project people develop in their spare time.
Pages: 1 2