Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Prime unplayable lag and framerate drops.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

cisd002039

I'm trying to play metroid prime, but i'm getting rediculous framerate drops making the game nearly unplayable. It's going down to 3 or 4 fps. Does anybody know any way I can fix this whether it's with configuration or additional downloads?
Without telling us literally anything at all? No we can't, we're not psychic. Please post your revision, settings, and system specs.
I have issues with Prime too, so I'm pretty sure it's a combination of Prime being a really strange game to emulate, and your system just not pulling it.

cisd002039

Ok, sorry about that.

Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
Model: Inspiron 1545
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo Cpu T6600 @ 2.2GHz (2 CPUs), 2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB Ram
Chip Type: Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family
Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I don't normally do this kind of thing, so If i'm missing anything just tell me and I'll look it up and find it somehow.
Metroid Prime can be a heavy game to emulate, even on my Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz I gets slowdowns in some areas. Considering your CPU is clocked under the minimum requirement for CPU speed for Dolphin could explain your large drops in speed. Your integrated Intel graphics isn't doing you any justice in regards to performance either. It's just a generally heavy game with higher requirements than most games.
I agree with Xtreme. Those specs are way to low, and your resolution is set way to high for that igp.
(08-18-2010, 06:33 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]Metroid Prime can be a heavy game to emulate, even on my Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz I gets slowdowns in some areas. Considering your CPU is clocked under the minimum requirement for CPU speed for Dolphin could explain your large drops in speed. Your integrated Intel graphics isn't doing you any justice in regards to performance either. It's just a generally heavy game with higher requirements than most games.

Hehe.... It's hopeless trying to emulate prime full speed. *points to sig* Yeah, I drop to 8 fps in spots. Angry
Wow, i've never dropped to 8fps even with my specs. Slowest it goes is probably about 30-40fps. I can get up to 60fps in some instances. I get an average of around 45-50fps on a whole. And this without even a decent GPU. Maybe i've not gotten to any of the areas where you've gotten the intense slowdown, but even in huge open detailed areas i never really go below 30fps. I hope there's nothing wrong with your system, that sounds really weird... I've witnessed people emulate Prime 3 at constant fullspeed on an even weaker system at high resolutions and it's even more demanding than Prime 1. O_o

No way you'd be able to get decent speeds on a laptop like that though. You can get some less demanding games to run maybe, but even then only at low resolutions (check the threads in game discussion about games which don't require fancy CPU/GPU's). Metroid Prime is a hefty piece of work. It was probably the best looking Gamecube games (or one of them). Really pushed the original system hard.
Yea i agree with Granville...i can still get anywhere from 45-60 in most spots in mp1 and mp2 runs faster than mp1 for the most part....idk maybe it could also be the type of system ur on?? doubt it but yea .... im using rev 6075 but lately the primes are starting up theyre random crashes within like 20 mins apart from starting the game ugh lol Tongue
I also agree with Granville. I played through the entire game on 5 different revisions (5016, 5186, 5216, 5218, 5312) and on all of them I was running without any issues except for audio that wasn't quite perfect (very close though) and fullspeed 98% of the time. Their were a couple small isolated spots where my framerate dropped down to 30-50, the lowest it ever went was the flaghra boss battle which ran at 20 fps (it was brutal getting through that, although the slow speed made it very easy to dodge his attacks lol). It only crashed 4 times total, 3 of those were near the end of the game with later revisions the first was on the station with 5016. If your using an older revision and your settings are where they should be you should easily be able to run the game fullspeed all the time with those specs zurginator.
Pages: 1 2