Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting games to display in HD 720p or higher?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am very sorry if this is a dumb question but how exactly do I get the my games to run in 720P or higher? Does the emulator automatically have games to run at 720P or do I have to mess with some settings? If so, what settings on the emulator do I need to check/uncheck to get that right? I am running it at 1360 X 768 fullscreen with the openGL plugin.
720p is 1280x720. At 1360x768, you are running at a pixel resolution higher than 720p.
(08-17-2010, 10:09 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]720p is 1280x720. At 1360x768, you are running at a pixel resolution higher than 720p.

so my games are in HD then? What if I enable PS on some titles that have it? Will it make it look even better or revert it to 480P?
OpenGL plugin : check resolution = 2x (this will make graphic better and may decrease the speed)
(08-17-2010, 10:20 AM)crapmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]so my games are in HD then? What if I enable PS on some titles that have it? Will it make it look even better or revert it to 480P?

HD is a marketing term. Whether you experience something to be high quality or not is up to you.
"Full" hd is currently marketed as 1920x1080p resolution but will change as 1600p and 2160p displays become more common
(and much later, 4320p which is 16 times more precise than 1080p)

At 1360x768 you are rendering roughly 10% more pixels on the screen than you would with 1280x720 (720 vertical lines per second by progressive scan)
which is considered a high-detail resolution

Quote:Will it make it look even better or revert it to 480P?

Higher resolution = higher definition of picture. On a larger display you will especially see the benefits.
The game can't 'revert' the picture to 480p since dolphin, unlike the original wii, allows scaling of the image higher without any hardware limitations.

Games can be scaled without boundaries on dolphin, even across multiple screens in giant resolutions without loss of detail. The only limit is your graphics card and processor.
(08-17-2010, 12:56 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Games can be scaled without boundaries on dolphin, even across multiple screens in giant resolutions without loss of detail. The only limit is your graphics card and processor.

And this right here is why I prefer to play Wii games on Dolphin then a Wii. Big Grin
(08-17-2010, 10:20 AM)crapmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]Games can be scaled without boundaries on dolphin, even across multiple screens in giant resolutions without loss of detail. The only limit is your graphics card and processor.

and textures.
(08-17-2010, 12:56 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Games can be scaled without boundaries on dolphin, even across multiple screens in giant resolutions without loss of detail. The only limit is your graphics card and processor.

However, even though Dolphin will render stuff offscreen with the widescreen hack, the game still thinks it's at 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. Even though you can see way above and below yourself on Rumble Falls on SSBB at 1080x3840 (Yes, that's 2 1920x1080 monitors in portrait mode and stacked) that does not mean that you can go there without the game killing you. We've had a few laughs when people have forgotten this during a match.