Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MacOSX vs. Win7 for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

inunonichan

I have a MBP 15" with i5-520M and nVidia GeForce GT 330M. I use MacOSX as well as Win7 32bit with BootCamp. Since Dolphin is available for both OSes, which one provides the best performance when used with a Wiimote? Are there any additional factors that come into play?
The Windows version of Dolphin runs better than the OS X version.

inunonichan

Just so I'm clear, Win-Dolphin + Win7 > Mac-Dolphin + OSX on the same hardware.
"Just so I'm clear, Win-Dolphin + Win7 > Mac-Dolphin + OSX on the same hardware." Yes, the Windows 7 version of Dolphin will run a fair bit better on the same hardware.
Hell yes. Mac drivers are garbage because they arent made for gaming like windows pcs. Windows drivers are uch more optimized.
(08-14-2010, 08:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Hell yes. Mac drivers are garbage because they arent made for gaming like windows pcs. Windows drivers are uch more optimized.

Although I agree that mac isn't a good gaming os while windows is IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVERS. You are either a troll or don't know much about software. I'm hoping for troll.

Poor OS X drivers do contribute to the poor performance.
Maybe a little but they certainly aren't the main reason. You of all people know that.
(08-14-2010, 02:55 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe a little but they certainly aren't the main reason. You of all people know that.

I of all people know that? :p I've only used OS X maybe 4 hours of my entire life. :p From what I have heard from other devs that use OS X, poor drivers are a big contributor.
Quote:From what I have heard from other devs that use OS X, poor drivers are a big contributor.

Seriously? That's not what sonic told me. Also it doesn't make sense, what exactly is wrong with the drivers that's causing it?

But if that is true then I apologize for my post hero. Although I do find this odd.
There are also some osxspecific bugs in the osx version..

1. No real Fullscreensupport (the gray windowbar is visible all the time).
2. no high resolution support (only 640x480, a resolution-configchange doesn't change anything).
3. saving save states crash the emulator.
4. Everytime you press a Button the "OSX Errorsound" appears.. (The sound that says there is no action on this button).
5. Controlling the WiiMote via mouse isn't possible in the OSX release (or i just don't get it how it should work).
6. Changing the Device in "New Wiimote Plugin" crashes the emulator.
Edit:
7. Versionnumber isn't updated via SNV UP (Using r6095):
[Image: dolphin1.png]

[Image: dolphin2.png]

[Image: dolphin3.png]
Pages: 1 2