Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hey! noob need food! or just performance help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys im kinda new and im having a little bit of performance issues. so im running dolphin on pretty much all low settings on a laptop. i have switchable integrated ATI Mobility Radeon 4550 graphics card which has OpenGL version 6.14, but dolphin gives me that dumb error that i don't have it or something when i try to load a game. but my specs are U9600 Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 ghz, with that graphics card, windows 7 x64 and 8 gb of memory and using dolphin 2.0. please someone explain to me why i get a measly 15 fps in this emulator, i just don't understand. i figure maybe its not going to the radeon and just using the onboard intel card...which blows.
Quote:please someone explain to me why i get a measly 15 fps in this emulator, i just don't understand. i figure maybe its not going to the radeon and just using the onboard intel card...which blows.

Well, your issue is confusing, because there is no OpenGL version past 6, and you are running a 1.6ghz dualcore yet you have 8gb of RAM on a laptop.

The simple fact is you would need at least a semi-recent 2.5ghz dual-core (at the least) and a dedicated video card to run games above 640x480 resolution at acceptable framerates. Mobility radeon 4550 is a slow card and a mobile core 2 duo clocked at 1.6ghz is not enough (except for some 2d gamecube games and sidescrollers)
edit: nevermind, your pc can't run dolphin.
haha well idk thats just what the settings said under my catalyst center for the opengl. but my ATI card is dedicated, its just switchable with the onboard intel card. and i could see why my processor wouldn't be enough but im getting 50-60 fps on my ps2 emulator haha. confusinggg. thanks for your help too, and for being so nice about it and not flaming me out.
Omg 8gb Ram ??? total a waste for crappy laptop.Sorry, you need a gaming laptop with specs atleast like Ocean said or build a desktop same specs as me (much cheaper)
Offtopic : you can run fullspeed with some older emulator like :
Project64(N64): Mario Kart 64,F Zero ...
DeSmuMe(NDS):New Super Mario Bros ,Mario Kart DS...(Not sure you can get it fullspeed)
And 50-60 FPS in PCSX2 is counted wrong by speed hack Cycle rate,infact 30 FPS is your true speed (depend on the game)

P.S You can download old Dolphin build r51xx ,I prefer getting r5186 multi path here http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-6629.html.Lastest revs are super slow so you better stick with this one
Use dx9, why do people insist on using opengl when there are better alternative? oh wait they must have not read the faqs hence didn't update the directx and as a result can't see the plugin.

Read the sticky and use search, people.

Also most game will run slowly with that cpu. CULV notebook isn't the best thing to play emulator with.
(07-21-2010, 01:54 AM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]Use dx9, why do people insist on using opengl when there are better alternative? oh wait they must have not read the faqs hence didn't update the directx and as a result can't see the plugin.

Read the sticky and use search, people.

Also most game will run slowly with that cpu. CULV notebook isn't the best thing to play emulator with.

i am using dx9, i had to, i wouldn't have been able to get any gameplay if i was still trying to use the OpenGL because it for some reason tells me i don't have it. Thats how i know im getting the low frames like i am...

haha thanks admin but im alright, i tried dolphin more for the reason of gamecube games. but in pcsx2 i didn't select any of the speed hacks. im running it under directx 10/11 plugin. oh and the 8gb upgrade was free so i said why not.

also if i may add, this guy has the same computer as me, same specs and all, i even have more ram. but he's getting this good performance from these high end games like COD and mass effect 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKbXEQQyHw

and guys i realize its not a powerful gaming laptop, thats not why i got it, i was just wanting help because i feel that its more powerful than this emulator shows it is, or at least has the potential.
Then there's nothing you can do since those slow frame rate come from your cpu and opengl won't create a miracle even if you got it running, i.e. doesn't worth your effort.

And no, don't ever compare pc games with emulation, they're usually very gpu dependent (any modern cpu will be enough) and they're designed to be very playable even on low frame rates.
Quote:OpenGL version 6.14

Does not exist.

Quote:U9600 Intel Core 2

Also does not exist.

Quote:also if i may add, this guy has the same computer as me, same specs and all, i even have more ram. but he's getting this good performance from these high end games like COD and mass effect 2

Those are pc games. And as such they don't need to be emulated. The reason so much processing power is needed to run dolphin is that dolphin is converting the game code (which is designed to run on a gc/wii) into x86 code that can run on a pc. This conversion takes an enormous amount of processing power.

Quote:and guys i realize its not a powerful gaming laptop, thats not why i got it, i was just wanting help because i feel that its more powerful than this emulator shows it is, or at least has the potential.

Well duh! Your running an emulator and your wondering why it's not showing off your laptops potential? If you want to do that you should be playing games that are actually designed for your platform (pc) instead of emulating games that are designed for other platforms.
(07-21-2010, 04:20 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:OpenGL version 6.14

Does not exist.

Quote:U9600 Intel Core 2

Also does not exist.

Quote:also if i may add, this guy has the same computer as me, same specs and all, i even have more ram. but he's getting this good performance from these high end games like COD and mass effect 2

Those are pc games. And as such they don't need to be emulated. The reason so much processing power is needed to run dolphin is that dolphin is converting the game code (which is designed to run on a gc/wii) into x86 code that can run on a pc. This conversion takes an enormous amount of processing power.

Quote:and guys i realize its not a powerful gaming laptop, thats not why i got it, i was just wanting help because i feel that its more powerful than this emulator shows it is, or at least has the potential.

Well duh! Your running an emulator and your wondering why it's not showing off your laptops potential? If you want to do that you should be playing games that are actually designed for your platform (pc) instead of emulating games that are designed for other platforms.

well naturalviolence im just showing you what my computer said, i actually think its SU9600. it said the opengl thing in my ati catalyst information. i understand what you guys are saying about the cpu vs. gpu on emulators though so thank you for the information, i appreciate it.
hey do me a favor...cause i had this problem but make sure you laptop is on high performance settings on the battery icon...it makes a difference
Pages: 1 2