Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using Dolphin on Intel core Family i3, i5, i7 Laptop and Desktop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all, I'm not a technician so don't rely only on this thread for your next Purchase.

Here is my vision (45fps at least) and benchmarks using dolphin as software on the core family:

all i3 laptops suck unless overclocked (but good for low-normal resolution)

all i5 laptops RULE when low-normal res is used as well as i3 Desktops

most i7 laptops are great for HD gameplay and most i5 Desktops
and if OC'ed

ALL i7 Desktops are/well always take the full advantage (meaning that if any of the 6 cores or any future CPUs u try well act almost the same and in that point only better dolphin releases can help)

Note that:
1-Money (Budget or Cost) of any system can vary from country to country - from state to state - also from shop to shop - from time to time Therefore this thread will not include prices but i can give u the one true advice when asking and that is "Different Brands Are the Answer"
2-ALL Desktop Builds must have:
a) a suitable Motherboard and at least 2GB DDR3 RAM (more RAM is for other uses than dolphin)
b) anything newer than nvidia's 8600GT or ATI's HD 4200 (including them) and if u want to run Games on high resolutions like 720p or 1080p then go for newer than nvidia's 280GTX or ATI's HD 4770.
c) Any other components Like Hard Disk, DVD or blueRay Drive, Monitor, Case, Power Supply, Water Cooling System, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers OR ANY OTHER EXTERNAL Peripherals are always for you to choose.

3- ALL Laptops must have:
a) at least as i said in desktop 2GB DDR3 RAM, and a screen that's more than 15 inch and Widescreen for HD Gameplay resolutions (inc. 720p and 1080i/p)
b)This is very Hard but i think any Laptop with an nvidia 9000m and newer or ATI mobility Radeon 4600 and newer are great for playing on good resolutions and keep in mind that YOU CAN'T REALLY PLAY on INTEL's STUPID CHIPS.
c) if u want to play alot on your laptop go for Laptop cooling PODs that has Fans and that fits for ur laptop size and buy a mouse too.
d) Good Laptop Brands That i recommend: Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Sony VAIO, MSI for low cost and any other.
4- The OS has only minor effect unless it's 32 then go for 64bit(10%-25% boost)

I will always appreciate any Suggestions and i want to ask mods to sticky this as i will link youtube videos of different gameplays on (i3, i5, i7) desktops and laptops
this is how i7 desktop runs dolphin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ZKfyqps3E

and here's on a i3 Laptop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbuqAEJoNE
Sp How would an Alienware M15x with i7 Quad Extreme 2.13 GHZ ( Turbo boost 3.2 GHZ )

Run dolphin games ? Im talking demanding games like SMG and LOZ : TP in 1080p ?
If you can keep that turbo boost speed constant it will run the games okay but not full speed.
(07-14-2010, 12:15 PM)obscured Wrote: [ -> ]If you can keep that turbo boost speed constant it will run the games okay but not full speed.

What about 720p or native resolution ?
LOZ:TP will not get full speed at all unless you have highly overclocked I7 and I don't get constant full speed all the time with my highly overclocked c2d. So, to put in perspective those games will really need a lot of processing power to run full speed constantly.
So I would be able to run games like Super Smash Brothers Brawl & Mario Kart Wii without an problem ?
Don't know how those games will run because I don't have them but have read they have lower cpu prerequisite. SMG and LOZ should still be playable witha a 3ghz+ I7.
sometimes i use normal resolutions like 1024x768 or lower AA so that i can play a game smoothly, and that's better than having 25fps in 1080p.

gameplay is far more important than visuals to me, and that's my advice to u Lilray010
How would a HP laptop with i5 turbo boost 3.1GHz and dual core 4 way processing with 6GB of ram work with Mario Kart double dash and Pokemon xd?
Mario Kart Double Dash will be playable, but I'm not sure about Pokemon XD. I read, that this is a pretty demanding game.
Pages: 1 2