Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which processor between these?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

fabry20

Hi

I have the chance to buy one of these processors (and relative MOBO).

Only one of these.

Which one is the best for Dolphin?

From lowest price to highest:

-Athlon II x3 435

-Pentium Dual Core e6500

-Phenom II 545

Which one would be the best?
Thanks in advance
Phenom II 545, it's not a real dual core, it's a leftover processor from phenom II x4 lithography process in AMD factory and thus you can unlock it for 4 cores as is possible for it's big brother phenom II 550, it's the best value purchase out of those 3 ($99)
(06-26-2010, 12:51 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Phenom II 545, it's not a real dual core, it's a leftover processor from phenom II x4 lithography process in AMD factory and thus you can unlock it for 4 cores as is possible for it's big brother phenom II 550, it's the best value purchase out of those 3 ($99)

Personally I wouldn't say "it's possible to unlock it for 4 cores" because if it's been branded an X2 because it has 2 broken cores then unlocking would be pointless. But yes the Phenom II would be the best performer.
(06-26-2010, 06:19 AM)storm20200 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2010, 12:51 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Phenom II 545, it's not a real dual core, it's a leftover processor from phenom II x4 lithography process in AMD factory and thus you can unlock it for 4 cores as is possible for it's big brother phenom II 550, it's the best value purchase out of those 3 ($99)

Personally I wouldn't say "it's possible to unlock it for 4 cores" because if it's been branded an X2 because it has 2 broken cores then unlocking would be pointless. But yes the Phenom II would be the best performer.

Yep go with phenom II and yes you can unlock 2 4 cores and no the cores are not broken thay work fine my friend as done this a quick search on google will tell you how to do it.
(06-26-2010, 06:45 AM)ebhomepc Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2010, 06:19 AM)storm20200 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep go with phenom II and yes you can unlock 2 4 cores and no the cores are not broken thay work fine my friend as done this a quick search on google will tell you how to do it.

I didn't say they WERE broken, they could possibly be broken, it's a common thing for manufacturers from CPU's to GPU's to do, they create the full fat product and if there's an error with a core (or stream processor in the case of GPU's) they disable that core then sell it on as a lower end product. So in the case of a Phenom II X4 that has a broken core they'd sell it as a X3, if it had 2 broken cores they'd sell it as a Phenom II X2. That's not to say all X3's and X2's have broken cores, there's a larger demand for lower end products than high end so to meet that demand they also use 100% working quad cores but just disable 2 cores for an X2 or 1 core for an X3. That is why you can unlock the extra core or extra 2 cores, because some CPU's have fully working disabled cores but for those with broken disabled cores unlocking wouldn't be stable, even at stock speeds.

fabry20

All in all, i decided to get a X4 955 BE, which i hope'll do his job in getting me solid fps on most Dolphin games..
(06-26-2010, 06:45 AM)ebhomepc Wrote: [ -> ]Yep go with phenom II and yes you can unlock 2 4 cores and no the cores are not broken thay work fine my friend as done this a quick search on google will tell you how to do it.

Never a guaranteed unlock. As Storm said some of these are in fact disabled bad cores.
storm20200 doesnt know what he's talking about

Unlocking AMD cpu cores has been documented for years with the original quad core phenom 1 and not once have I heard of a case where the cores didnt unlock, or unlocked but had some kind of malfuction.

It works, They unlock, they just dont clock as high. It saves AMD money so they dont have to come up with a whole new chip, just disable 2 cores and you have a cpu with a far lower power draw.
Bin the chips by the amount of voltage it takes to achiive desired frequency and take the chips that dont make it and turn them into dual and tri cores.

Just be thankful they dont truly disable to cores by cutting them out.
Actually what storm said is very well known knowledge amongst hardware enthusiast and overclocker groups. I dare you to repost that on hard forums.
Not saying they aren't unlockable but you are wrong to presume they will work at 100%. I've seen unlocked cores fail stress tests at stock speeds.

(06-29-2010, 05:50 AM)mfuhreck Wrote: [ -> ]storm20200 doesnt know what he's talking about

Unlocking AMD cpu cores has been documented for years with the original quad core phenom 1 and not once have I heard of a case where the cores didnt unlock, or unlocked but had some kind of malfuction.

It works, They unlock, they just dont clock as high. It saves AMD money so they dont have to come up with a whole new chip, just disable 2 cores and you have a cpu with a far lower power draw.
Bin the chips by the amount of voltage it takes to achiive desired frequency and take the chips that dont make it and turn them into dual and tri cores.

Just be thankful they dont truly disable to cores by cutting them out.
Pages: 1 2