Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU Requirements for Dolphin @ 1080
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tetsunai

I've been searching for a thread like this, but nothing turned up, so I'll query my dilemma to you. I'm going to be building a new computer come July 27 (the day I get back from Japan, and coincidentally, the Starcraft 2 release date!) and I'd ideally like to emulate wii games at a 1920 x 1080 resolution with full fps (I do know that the CPU matters most).

In particular, I'd like to emulate the following games:

Tales of Graces, Tales of Symphonia (+ sequel), SSBB

1) What graphics cards would you recommend?

2) I was originally thinking of a 5770 to satisfy, but would a 5670 work as well?

Just in case you're wondering, I've looked over the Dolphin PC Buying Guide (far too many times). I'm not sure, though, if those graphics cards are best for this resolution (whether too weak or overkill).
A 1gb 5770 will get the job done and a 5670 will do well in most games. Yes, your cpu is very important so even with a 5770 you might not even get full speed.
Both of those cards are reasonably priced and will output 1080p on dolphin without lag.

This will of course depend a lot on your cpu too like obscured mentioned. Your processor type is extremely important if you want to render all games in high definition. I'd say don't bother with anything lower than a core 2 duo e8600, or a lower end phenom II. Weaker dual and single cores are simply unsuitable for your purpose.

tetsunai

Thank you for your timely responses. I think I may stick with a 5670 or compromise at a 5750. As for the CPU in question, I plan on getting a core i5 and overclocking it to around 3.2 Ghz, or as high as possible without modifying the voltage.
i5 is good for Dolphin Smile.
Depends on the game and the settings, particularly the level of AA and how the efb is handled. Games that extensively use the efb for effects such as twilight princess need enormous amounts of video memory bandwidth to get a decent framerate at that resolution (most nintendo games are like this) while games that don't (most 3rd party games are like this) tend to need very little video memory bandwidth. If you don't care about AA a 5670 and 9800GT are enough for basically every game at that resolution. If they make dolphin more gpu demanding in the future or you want to use high levels of AA you will need something stronger.

Quote: or as high as possible without modifying the voltage.

You can get it past 4GHz stable without any voltage increase with sufficient cooling and a good mobo.