Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do you Overclock your pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

idkmybffjill

I want to be able to enjoy my games betterBig Grin

LuisR14

well you could look at overclocking sites and google for overclocking tutorials and stuff Smile
Try with solar energy !
Or Son Goku, he's a man with a power level of over nine thousaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd !
(04-29-2009, 09:37 PM)RuFo_ThE_oNe Wrote: [ -> ]Try with solar energy !
Or Son Goku, he's a man with a power level of over nine thousaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd !
bahahaha, i lol'd
a bit spamish post tho

on topic: google is your best guess
My BIOS (final version of it) doesn't even support overclocking, so I had to use a wonderful little program called 'setfsb' (fsb= Front Side Bus)
I overclocked from 2.8 to about 3.0 with no problems for a few days now

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

You need to know the model # of your PLL (Phase Lock Loop) before you can do anything though. Researching your motherboard will help, as well as the info on the homepage

I have a few words to people that don't know much about overclocking.

Overclocking usually voids your warranty
It CAN ruin your system, the higher you overclock, the more likely
Overclocking causes the system to run hotter than normal. Simply cleaning your system (esp fans/heatsinks) can make it run cooler sometimes
(04-29-2009, 12:06 PM)idkmybffjill Wrote: [ -> ]I want to be able to enjoy my games betterBig Grin

it's different for every Motherboard.

Look up your motherboard specs and look at the manual. It should have the clock settings and voltage settings and where to find them. Unless you got like a dell motherboard or something that doesn't support manual clocking of the components.

Then just google it. But remember, Overclocking = more heat, more heat = more fail. More fail = more money on new parts!
(04-29-2009, 10:18 PM)Daco Wrote: [ -> ]bahahaha, i lol'd
a bit spamish post tho

on topic: google is your best guess

Sorry, the temptation was so great ^_^
Anyway, my best advice is to make your first step in the OC world with an (not too) old PC but which doesn't have value anymore, avoid testing OC for the first time with your main rig... Or be lucky Big Grin
In my conclusion, I'm still to noobish to test overclockingTongue I've been told my system can be overclock to 4.0 GZ and it's safely tested, but it's still pretty new and the first time I bought a really expensive computer. It can run most modern games at full anyway, so I figure maybe I'll get into this oveclocking buisness in a couple of year when it has gotten old.
I just overclock a little bit. I know I can push it a lot more. I have the same setup and cooling as these people I read about that are getting 4 GHz out of the i7, but I don't see a huge benefit in going to that right now. If I come across a game that my system can't run, then maybe I'll consider it, but for now.. jumping from 2.6 to 3.2 is good enough for me. It's already idling at 45C and at load 65-70C, so That's fine, I read that some people are Loading at nearly the threshold of 100C, that's a little too warm for my liking. Anything over 60 even scares me, but I've read countless i7's under full load well into the 70's and 80's so I feel OK with 65C on this CPU. Plus I got warranty on it for a while, so I'll just get it replaced if it fails! =)
Well I don't know much about overclocking via software but generally overclocking via the BIOS is fairly simple. You increase the fsb to increase clock speed, trying not to raise the voltage until it's actually necessary, overclocking can turn cheap CPU into a powerful one (in terms of clock speed), but it has it's draw backs the higher the fsb and voltage the more heat generated by the CPU and overclocking will probably halve the life of the CPU if your not careful.

My E2140 is stable at 2.664GHz (333MHz*8) and i can achieve 2.77GHz but anything after i get the error "Operating System Can Not Be Located" lol, i reached my limit i think lol (without increasing stock voltage) Tongue I've heard of some people getting 100% overclock (3.2GHz) by increasing voltage by a small amount but i'm not risking it Smile

E2140 running @ 2.664GHz with an idle temperature of 40c and 100% load on both core temperature of 45c (50c after 6-7hours), i think i did a pretty good job considering its running on stock voltage.
Pages: 1 2