Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: my laptop and Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys,

Well here is the thing:

I've got an acer Aspire 8920G. Started using Dolphin with rev 3661 mosly to play gamecube games.

Now, pu to a point, I could play Zelda Wind waker pretty well : good FPS, acceptable sound et al.

But then gradually as I upgraded to newer version of Dolphin I could get less out of it as the FPS rate started to slump very quickly up to a point where it becomes unplayable.

Now what baffles me is that the level of FPS and VPS is very good upon launch of the program (100 %) but deteriorate sharply after 5 min of play (down to 20% and less !)

What with my config, I have tried to disable the Nvidia PowerMizer with PowerMizer Manager, but it did nothing.

As far as directX is concerned, I have version 11
Pilot of my Nvidia Geforce9500 M GS is 8.16.0011.8681

Ca anyone help me on this and tell me if my cas is hopeless or if by fumbling with some soft, I can improve Dolphin functioning.

Thanks guys !
What revision are you using?
(06-07-2010, 11:17 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What revision are you using?

I have just installed dolphin 2.0

Is there a better rev for my config ?

Or should I try to toggle with Dolphin options ?

Thx for your help !
Am I going crazy or did you just add the revision and laptop model to the post? I did not see that at all the first time I read it.

Anyways I was asking that because newer revisions suffer from some serious performance issues. Your issue sounds like your laptop is throttling your cpu and/or gpu speed as it begins to heat up. I'll tell you all about it and how to get rid of it in the bios when I get back from class in 1-3 hours depending on how long my test takes, if your still on then, right now I really don't have time to post.
If you want the fastest rev,go for 4771 64bit
Or this one fit it your core 2 duo:
64 bit
32 bit
Setting:http://www.dolphin-emu.org/performance.html
P.S : why people not use the search button rather than make a new thread and get the same answers
I can wait.

For the record, all my config was posted, except for the fact that I did not mentionned that I am now using D2.0
thks anyway.
admin 89,

Thanks, I just tried rev 4771 32 (I have vista 32).

Upon first launch : BSOD !
After reboot and launch zelda, no higher than 22% in speed...slooow

I don't know why. It used to be much better than that...
Alright I'm back. First thing is first, do you know how to enter the bios configuration? Once your in there you need to disable "intel speedstep" and any other options that relate to throttling such "cpu power save" or anything with a name like that. Oh right and what's the thermal throttling feature intel uses called? Can't remember bu make sure you have that disabled as well. Make sure your fan is set to auto if it gives you that option as these features that your disabling are there for a reason, to keep the cpu and the rest of the system from overheating. rev 4771 is to old to accurately emulate this game (all kinds of bugs and issues that I won't get in to). I would recommend 5016. I'll be back later.
Seem like another victim of Vista.You never get better speed with Vista and 32bit
To play dolphin with Vista,i recommend 6Gb Ram .Too much ? Get windows 7 64bit
I accessed the bios (F2 right after boot), but did not find any Intel speedstep or CPU configuration...??

Also what is very strange is that upon the very launch of the game I have very correct speed 100 to 80%...Then after, say 5 mn, it goes down to 12-10%.

I have disabled many unecessary services and launch programs.

Yet while it does make Dolphin run smoothly for 5 mn it does slow to a snail step aferwards.

What do u think ?
Definitely throttling. If getting rid of background processes extends it then it has to be either throttling or a memory leak, and using different revisions would fix any memory leak with a given revision. It has nothing to do with vista.

Quote:Seem like another victim of Vista.You never get better speed with Vista and 32 bit
To play dolphin with Vista,i recommend 6Gb Ram .Too much ? Get windows 7 64bit

What drug are you on and can I have some? I hate to be this rude to someone but how you possible think insufficient memory is the problem?!? Dolphin almost never uses more than half a gig of memory and will never use more than 1 GB under normal circumstances, he has 4 GB of ram, even 2GB is fine for running dolphin in vista.

Now the next thing I want you to do a2lbd is do is again and tell me if your fan starts to rev up before the drop happens. This will tell me if it's thermal based throttling.
Pages: 1 2 3