Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin doesn't want to start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

geonaldo

Hi everybody!

To start, I inform you that i'm french, so my english is very very not perfect!!

So this is my problem:

I have discovered the dolphin emulator by a friend some days ago.

Immediately, I wanted to test it on my PC to play WII ou GC games.
Unfortunately, dolphin seemed to refuse to work with my PC.
In effect, when I tried to lauch the application, I had got this error:
[Image: dolphinerrorw.png]

Windows was installed on my PC about one year ago, so I tried to reinstall windows on it to have a clean windows on my PC. However, enven after the reinstall of windows, when I try to lauch dolphin, I still have this error.

PS: I updated my Direct X and I installed microsoft visual C++ like it's told somewhere on this site but no changement.
I even installed the last driver for my graphic card...

So I come here to know if somebody has already meet the error and to know if it is possible to regulate it.

Thanks for reading me, and sorry for my bad english BlushTongue
What are your computer specs?

geonaldo

(04-28-2009, 06:31 AM)Glurion Wrote: [ -> ]What are your computer specs?

processor AMD ATHLON XP 3200 + (2,20 GHZ)
512 MB of RAM (i will receive 1 more GB in few days, so i will have 1,5 GB)
graphic card: geforce 6600 (256 Mb)
You won't be able to run Dolphin, for the final and last time AMD Athlon XP processors don't support SSE2 which Dolphin requires in order to run and boot game.

Even if there was some magical way you could get Dolphin to run games, expect them to run like a slideshow.

If you want to use Dolphin, upgrade that ancient processor that sucks complete donkey balls. Better yet, you'd likely need to do a partial or complete upgrade since it's likely the socket for Athlon XP's don't support the newer processors.

Read the floggin' requirements:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-4.html

And specifically take note of these parts:

CPU Requirements:

Quote:* Processor: Any Fast CPU with SSE2 supported (recommended at least 2Ghz). Dual Core for speed boost.

Since your Cpu lacks SSE2, you won't be able to run Dolphin at all. Since the Athlon XP lacks dual core and is based on ancient AMD architecture, even if you could get Dolphin to run somehow expect games to be a slideshow at about 0.5 - 1.0 FPS.

Video Card Requirements:

Quote:[Models that Dolphin likes]
- NVIDIA GeForce 6 to 9 Series and GeForce 200 Series
--* GeForce 6 Series
--* GeForce 7 Series
--* GeForce 8 Series
--* GeForce 9 Series
--* GeForce 200 Series
- ATI Radeon R200 to R700 Series
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 300
--* Radeon 420
--* Radeon 520
--* Radeon 600
--* Radeon 700

[Model thats Dolphin doesn't like]
- Any Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) Chipset (These cards do not support OpenGL 2.x fully)
--* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
- Older NVIDIA Chipsets
--* GeForce 256
--* GeForce 2
--* GeForce 3
--* GeForce 4
--* GeForce FX Series
- ATI Radeon R200 and Older
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 100
--* Radeon 200
--* RIVA TNT
------+ RIVA TNT
--* RAGE
------+ Rage

The DirectX plugin requires a GPU that fully and properly supports SM 2.0 (Pixel/Vertex shading 2.0) or better, Intel based GPU's won't work with the OpenGL plugin, but may work with the DirectX video plugin. To use the OpenGL plugin, your GPU/Video card must support at least OpenGL 2.1.

geonaldo

So it's my processor which is lacking.
Thanks for the answer!
Yes, you need at least an AMD64 or Intel Pentium 4 to boot and run games, but that is the minimum and will run games fairly slow. For decent speed and performance, an AMD Phenom or Intel Core2duo is recommended.

Keep an mind that the AMD Phenom will be a bit slower than the Core2Duo, so a Core2Duo is the best bet, but you also need motherboard that has an LGA-775 socket and memory that is compatible with the motherboard.