Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multi-Core Performance speedup with(out) hyperthreading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, running the emu on a core i5 laptop. When ever i run a game my cpu stats show 16 cores. Is this normal for the rest of you? Not sure if i should file this as an issue or not.
(07-11-2010, 09:33 PM)kttrs1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, running the emu on a core i5 laptop. When ever i run a game my cpu stats show 16 cores. Is this normal for the rest of you? Not sure if i should file this as an issue or not.

Also Disable HT ( Hyper Threading ) In your BIOS.

And also and I have a question for you about the performance on your i5 Laptop...

Im getting a i7 extreme edition m15x ; I was wondering how was the performance on Super Mario Galaxy and LOZ: TP...

And if you over clock or not ?
OR u can use something like this and assign cores via batch file :-)
edit to your needs.
Code:
@echo off
@rem echo on
CD "C:\Program Files\Dolphin\"
start Dolphin.EXE
@rem start /HIGH Dolphin.EXE
@rem use both CPU-0 and CPU-1
@rem wfcpuuse Dolphin.EXE 3
@rem use CPU-1 only
@rem wfcpuuse Dolphin.EXE 2
@rem use CPU-0 only
wfcpuuse Dolphin.EXE 1
@rem pause
no need to turn off HT
Weirdly I have never had this problem on my i7, turning off HT does not impact my performance in anyway. I have never seen activity on my HT'ed cores when running dolphin, except for the time I was running LLE + LLE on a separate thread. I know HT is working because when I am converting video all my cores are used.
(07-11-2010, 11:50 PM)Lilray010 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2010, 09:33 PM)kttrs1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, running the emu on a core i5 laptop. When ever i run a game my cpu stats show 16 cores. Is this normal for the rest of you? Not sure if i should file this as an issue or not.

Also Disable HT ( Hyper Threading ) In your BIOS.

And also and I have a question for you about the performance on your i5 Laptop...

Im getting a i7 extreme edition m15x ; I was wondering how was the performance on Super Mario Galaxy and LOZ: TP...

And if you over clock or not ?

the bios on my lappy does not have the option to disable HT so i just use core affinity.

performance is solid. average about 85-90% speed off the top of my head in SMG1 with the latest revisions. turbo mode does kick cpu to 2.5ghz
gpu is 360m equal to a desktop 8800gt
Pages: 1 2