Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core i5 or Core i3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, Im building a new PC, but I can´t decide between this two.

Intel Core i3 540
Intel Core i5 661

Planing to OC to 3.5 both, which one will perform better on dolphin?

Also, should I use a MicroATX board or ATX? thanks!
if you got the money go for i5, both will run most games fine at that speed though.
If you want to use Dolphin with it and you can afford it, go for the core i5 750 which is a quad procesor. I've recently upgraded my cpu from a 650 to 750, huge difference in Dolphin even when its a dual core emulator, specially in graphically heavy games like smg.

I've never tried a i5 661 but from the specs I can see it's a dual core only. Save some more $$ and aim for a quad.

BTW: The i5-661 has a turbo freq of 3.6 Ghz so you really don't need to overclock it. I'll go for the i5-661 if I had to decide between those two.
wow thanks for the fast response, but I wanted to save some money so I can buy better parts, its not going to be the ultimate gaming machine, so ... I think im gonna go with the i5 thanks guys ...

but i really dont dont the difference between microATX or ATX. what should I buy?
(05-18-2010, 03:02 AM)naroth Wrote: [ -> ]wow thanks for the fast response, but I wanted to save some money so I can buy better parts, its not going to be the ultimate gaming machine, so ... I think im gonna go with the i5 thanks guys ...

but i really dont dont the difference between microATX or ATX. what should I buy?

microATX is a little smaller then ATX, but I prefer to use ATX - because more hardware will fit in Wink
same as Drag0nflamez here, and yeah core i5 is better Wink
Of course, i5 is better technologie. I have an i3 540, and works amazing!
the only difference between i5 and i3 is the useless turbo mode. If he's overclocking (both will reach 4ghz+ considering the fact that they're the exact same chips!) then get i3 because it's cheaper. Don't recommend something to this guy if you don't understand.
the i3 will have no problem competing with the i5 when u overclock it. as seen here the i3 530 can reach 4.4 but preforms best at 4.2.

Code:
A 4.2 or 4.4 GHz clock delivers vast performance improvements that set the Core i3-530 at performance levels beyond the Core i5-600-series and into performance levels typically reached by quad-core products.
wow thank you very much boogerlad, yeah im looking for a cheap but decent rig, im not planning to add many things just the necesary for "normal" gaming, 1 GPU and 1 DVDdrive ... its just to replace my old e2180, its kinda old and like dying XD
Pages: 1 2