Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Key Logger, Password Utility, Resident Memory Trojan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

JayTee

Okay, first off, thank you for making this awesome emu. You guys are awesome!!

However, I was noticing hardrive activity when there was nothing going on. Upon further investigation it appeared that the emulator was infected with a password logger/keylogger and a memory resident trojan that was being loaded in the high memory area. I downloaded the emulator 64-bit version from this site.

I run AVG on my compy.

I don't think it was a false positive either as it was active when I caught it.

Please tell me the emulator isn't maleware :C
Dolphin isn't "maleware" or malware. :p

JayTee

(05-11-2010, 03:12 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin isn't "maleware" or malware. :p

lol sorry typo.

But yeah, I'm cleaning it out now. I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen to them after downloading Dolphin.

I really want to play Fatal Frame 4 lol :B
Nope, no malware detected here at all. Where did you get your build from?

JayTee

(05-11-2010, 03:47 AM)MLConian Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, no malware detected here at all. Where did you get your build from?

I downloaded Dolphin V2.0 64-bit from:
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/downloads.php?cat_id=9

As far as I can tell, it was fine yesterday when I grabbed it. This morning I noticed all the activity.
Not possible.. None of the builds have ever had malicious attachments, not even the custom ones on dolphin-emu.org. You must've had an earlier parasite program that would infect new installs (and thus shift the user's focus on that innocent program instead of removing the bad one). All dolphin builds especially from dolphin-emu.com are clean

JayTee

(05-11-2010, 04:02 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Not possible.. None of the builds have ever had malicious attachments, not even the custom ones on dolphin-emu.org. You must've had an earlier parasite program that would infect new installs (and thus shift the user's focus on that innocent program instead of removing the bad one). All dolphin builds especially from dolphin-emu.com are clean

Well, I'm doing a thorough system scan at the moment.

I really hope that's the case with my compy. Like I said, you guys are awesome for creating the emulator. I've been waiting to play Fatal Frame 4 since it came out and been lurking at BCL since the translation patch was in the discussion phase lol.

Off-Topic:
Another thing I noticed was that Dolphin ran slow and stacks both processors up to 100% when running. I also noticed a graphical glitch (sprite drag) on Super Mario Bros Wii with Mario's stays pinned at one single point and stretches around the screen as he moves.

I run: Intel 3.2ghz Dual Core and 4gb DDR3 Memory Nevida 9800GT Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
We've had people accusing Dolphin of Malware-ing before, I've download probably 100+ builds from various locations and never had one. While possible for someone to attach some malware in a custom build, it's extremely unlikely to get one if you use the builds here from the officilal site or regular compilers. Also, if it happened, we'd likely see a huge outrage of infected/scanning-happy people who all found it.

Sad how these nasty viruses goes after innocent DolphinsSad
Anti-virus programs sometimes flag things as false positives, I can tell you though that Dolphin is completely malware, virus, trojan, spyware, adware free and the Dolphin team has no intentions of knowingly or purposely infecting anyone.

There could have been a virus already on your computer that was dormant and undetected until recently, there could have already been a worm or trojan on your computer that infected other files including the Dolphin files.
AVG says everything is a virus Tongue
Avast 5.0 or COMODO > AVG Smile
Pages: 1 2 3