Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HTPC/Dolphin Build (Budget Build)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm looking to build an 1080p playback HTPC with a smallish form factor that can smoothly run Dolphin and PCSX2 for at or under $400. I was thinking that maybe a bare-bones over-clocked i3-530 CPU build could reach this target. Is this feasible?

If not, do I have any options to achieve this goal for this price? Preferably the HTPC would not be very loud, but I am aware that one gets what one pays for.

(I have a spare HDD. Everything else is from the ground up.)

Edit:
I just saw this build in the forum sticky:
Forum Sticky Wrote:[color=#FF0000]B[/color]UDGET BUILD ~$445
Highlight of this build is the possibility to unlock 2 additional cores from the 550, giving you a $100 Quad Core PC that can overclock to 4GHz. Keep an eye out for mail in rebates! The CORSAIR RAM is known to FREQUENTLY go on sale for around $25!

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition $99
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M $109
RAM: CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5 $46
Graphics Card: Radeon 4850 (any brand) $99
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 Black $20
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W $35

Edit2:

Most of the parts above are dead links or no longer available. What I've found totals $428. Still, not bad.
(redacted parts for space. See Edit3.)
Can anyone here attest to the noise level of this build?

Edit3:
[color=red]TL;DR. (THIS IS WHAT I WENT WITH)[/color]

[color=#FF0000]B[/color]UDGET BUILD ~$400
Highlight of this build is the possibility to unlock 2 additional cores from the 550, giving you a $100 Quad Core PC that can overclock to 4GHz. Keep an eye out for mail in rebates! The CORSAIR RAM is known to FREQUENTLY go on sale for around $25! (I WISH!)

(Frys parts)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 341 mATX Computer Case $40 ($25 after rebate)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2 AMD 785G AM3 motherboard $90 ($75 after rebate)

(Newegg parts)
RAM: OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $115 ($95 after rebate) Free Shipping
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Edition $88 Free Shipping
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 Video Card $105 ($80 after rebates) Free Shipping
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply $37 ($25 after rebate) Free Shipping

New Total: $475 ($388 after rebates) + $11 Shipping

So this is potentially a 4gHz 4GB RAM m-ATX build with a maybe overheating-prone GPU for $399. I have put in the orders, but have I missed anything?
Is there a better (equally or less expensive) graphics card? Or an easy way to compensate for the overheating? The idea for now is to compensate via ramsinks if necessary.
Honestly all lower end cooler master cases are great for the money. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

That ram will work with that mobo but you a linked a single dimm kit......you need 2 dimms. Also I would strongly advise against buying an open box product. Don't fall into that trap.

The noise level will be about average, medium, however you want to say it. The video card and stock air cooler for the cpu are the only things that can get loud at high fanspeed, and as long as it's well ventilated the video card will likely be the only semi-loud thing in your build. Should be fine though.

Most of those parts are fine. But should be getting an AM3 asus board though (since asus rules and high end am3 boards cost the same as am2+). And 2 x 2 GB kit of ddr3 1333 ram since it now costs the same as ddr2 800 and ddr2 1066.

I'll post a more detailed response with some recommendations when I have time tomorrow.
Build as it is
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Edition $88
Motherboard: Open Box: BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $78
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X2048-6400C5 (Not sure if this is the same) $70
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (any brand) $105
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply $37

Total: $428

Build with Alternate Parts
The open box mobo was the only one of that type that I could find for the price listed in the original build. Is there an equivalent board for ~80? I found this one with only 1 PCI slot. Would it work as well?
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $85

I can't find any 2x2 memory for under ~95 on newegg. How did the build listed find it for 46?? This is the RAM suggested in the sticky. Not very budget.
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $103

I also found this refurbished case. Would there be any reason to not go with it?
Case: Elite 340 Mini Tower Micro ATX, W/O window, W/O PSU - Refurbished $21

New Total: $439

The double cost memory is killing the budget build. Is there anywhere that I could still find 2x2 memory for ~50?
nope

manufacturers have moved to DDR3 memory
(05-10-2010, 07:05 AM)bugmenot Wrote: [ -> ]nope

manufacturers have moved to DDR3 memory

Heh. I'm guessing bugmenot is the account most used from bugmenot.com. I could have fun with that.

Anyways, I still see DDR2 memory for sale. In fact, the memory I linked above is DDR2. Why would it cost more now that DDR3 is available? (Not trying to be sarcastic. I really don't understand.)

I can't even find cheaper memory on eBay. I don't suppose anyone here has a gently used extra for sale from when they were going for ~50?
DDR2 RAM costs more because it's becoming rare. It's as simple as that.
Your build should be fine though. I'll see if I can find something cheaper somewhere, but I think you pretty much nailed it. I would suggest looking for a better GPU though, seeing as you're planning to run Dolphin on 1080p.
What OS are you planning on using?
I figure that the GPU will be sufficient for Dolphin playback on the 1080p screen since the Wii and Gamecube neither have 1080p video output. It'll just be a matter of it upscaling to fullscreen, which I'm under the impression of being less GPU intensive than the alternative. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The OS I'm going to go with will most likely be a 32 or 64bit Windows 7.

Since the DDR2 800 memory is $103, should I go ahead and just get DDR3 1600 for $95??

Budget Build:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Edition $88 Free Shipping
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $85 Free Shipping
RAM: OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $115 ($95 after rebate) Free Shipping
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $105 ($80 after rebates) Free Shipping
Case: Elite 340 Mini Tower Micro ATX, W/O window, W/O PSU - Refurbished $21
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply $37 ($25 after rebate) Free Shipping

Total: $451 ($406 after rebates)

I'm hoping to put the order in tonight or tomorrow evening. I just found an old Newegg rebate from another build and it would put this rig together for just over $360 which is the sweet spot for me to still be able to put a wireless card in it. This will cost the same as the Asus Revo I was originally going to use for a HTPC. Hopefully this won't be much louder than the Revo even when overclocked.

What does Dolphin-emu think?

Lastly, will everything fit in this case? I'm not great at being able to tell from the pictures.
I'd go for the DDR3 memory. It's faster, cheaper and better equiped for the future. I'd advise you to go for Windows 7 64 bit, as that gives you some extra room to install additional RAM in the future.
As for fitting it, easy answer: your case is m-ATX, your mobo is m-ATX, so it should fit. Since you're not inserting an extra soundcard or whatsoever there should be no problems fitting your video card.
As for the GPU thingy, you should be safe when it comes to speed etc. when running Dolphin in 1080p, but that is only when the cooling is optimal. From what I've read about this card, the cooling is terrible and it's rather easy to fry, especially in a small case.
(05-10-2010, 08:54 AM)MLConian Wrote: [ -> ]As for fitting it, easy answer: your case is m-ATX, your mobo is m-ATX, so it should fit. Since you're not inserting an extra soundcard or whatsoever there should be no problems fitting your video card.
I plan to install a wireless network card, but if need be that can just be a USB attachment.

(05-10-2010, 08:54 AM)MLConian Wrote: [ -> ]As for the GPU thingy, you should be safe when it comes to speed etc. when running Dolphin in 1080p, but that is only when the cooling is optimal. From what I've read about this card, the cooling is terrible and it's rather easy to fry, especially in a small case.
I read the newegg reviews and most of them indicate this is due to a lack of a heatsink on the GDDR3 memory module. Is there a quick and easy way to cobble together a makeshift heatsink? This card is $25 less than any of the comparable alternatives I could find.

After checking the mobo specs, it says "Memory Standard: DDR2 533/667/800/1066 (1066 by AM2+ CPU)"
Does this mean it will not support the DDR3 1600 memory that I have selected above?
(05-10-2010, 09:19 AM)demori Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2010, 08:54 AM)MLConian Wrote: [ -> ]As for fitting it, easy answer: your case is m-ATX, your mobo is m-ATX, so it should fit. Since you're not inserting an extra soundcard or whatsoever there should be no problems fitting your video card.
I plan to install a wireless network card, but if need be that can just be a USB attachment.
There are some very good wireless n USB adapters on the market for around $20-30. It'd be a good choice to pick one of those up. Not only are they fully equiped for n-networks, but they have better b/g receivers as well.

(05-10-2010, 09:19 AM)demori Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2010, 08:54 AM)MLConian Wrote: [ -> ]As for the GPU thingy, you should be safe when it comes to speed etc. when running Dolphin in 1080p, but that is only when the cooling is optimal. From what I've read about this card, the cooling is terrible and it's rather easy to fry, especially in a small case.
I read the newegg reviews and most of them indicate this is due to a lack of a heatsink on the GDDR3 memory module. Is there a quick and easy way to cobble together a makeshift heatsink? This card is $25 less than any of the comparable alternatives I could find.
You could assemble something yourself, but there's no guarantee it'll keep your card cool enough. I'm not an expert on these things, but if you want this to be a quiet system, your safest bet would be to shell out the extra $25.

(05-10-2010, 09:19 AM)demori Wrote: [ -> ]After checking the mobo specs, it says "Memory Standard: DDR2 533/667/800/1066 (1066 by AM2+ CPU)"
Does this mean it will not support the DDR3 1600 memory that I have selected above?
Yes, you're right. The memory you selected is not supported. I should've checked before telling you to go for DDR3. There should be plenty mobos out there with DDR3 support and the right socket for your CPU though. I think I saw an AsRock with an AM2+/AM3 socket and DDR3 support in about the same price range a while ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4