Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU L2 Cache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

supagold

I'm currently running an E2160 @ 2.5GHz, with a passive-cooled 9600GT. My OS is 32bit win7. My motherboard supports up to a Wolfdale dual core cpu, and I was thinking about getting the lowest end Wolfdale (E5300) and overclocking it. Newegg has the E5300 for just $66 shipped, but it's only got 2MB of L2 cache.

From what I've read Dolphin is mostly CPU-bound. Is likely still true in my case? Also how dependent on cache is the emulator? Is it worth it to go to the 3 or 6MB cache?

Zurotai

I'm running an E5300 @ 2.6 GHz with a Radeon HD 4650.

I really doubt you'll get that much of a performance boost in Dolphin with that upgrade; will be probably better to save your money and upgrade to something more substantial.
(05-08-2010, 10:40 AM)Zurotai Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running an E5300 @ 2.6 GHz with a Radeon HD 4650.

I really doubt you'll get that much of a performance boost in Dolphin with that upgrade; will be probably better to save your money and upgrade to something more substantial.
If he keeps it at the normal clock, but he will overclock it. I would go for it ( but I would like to know the new clock speed )

I really never knew if the CPU cache affects dolphin in a significant way
the e5300 is a great overclocker. i found people overclock it up to 4.0 ghz, ON AIR O_O He's from pcsx2 forums
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Need-to-u...elp?page=2
that guy there has a very good cooler, but it's worth it. i'd say listen to his advice.
Increased cache size does seem to improve performance noticeable in dolphin. How much is something that I can't say specifically since different circumstances can change how much the cache is used. Typically the gains are small though.

supagold

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've also read that these cpus can hit 4GHz. I've got a big honking cooler on this thing, and just using the same bus speed I'm using right now, I'd be looking at 3.5GHz with the e5300's multiplier. I'm pretty confident I can hit at least that. However it sounds like the general consensus is that shelling out for the extra cache probably isn't worth it. At $70, this is an impulse purchase, but at twice the cost for 50% more cache, I don't think I'm going bother.

If anyone else has anything more to add about this, I'd love to hear it.
(05-08-2010, 11:46 PM)supagold Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the feedback guys. I've also read that these cpus can hit 4GHz. I've got a big honking cooler on this thing, and just using the same bus speed I'm using right now, I'd be looking at 3.5GHz with the e5300's multiplier. I'm pretty confident I can hit at least that. However it sounds like the general consensus is that shelling out for the extra cache probably isn't worth it. At $70, this is an impulse purchase, but at twice the cost for 50% more cache, I don't think I'm going bother.

If anyone else has anything more to add about this, I'd love to hear it.

Buy a good cooler Big Grin

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v8/4.htm

supagold

I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. I doubt I'd upgrade, unless I couldn't even hit 3.5 with this one. This machine is an HTPC for my home theater, and noise levels are pretty important to me. I've been very satisfied with this one so far, and I don't think heat's going to be an issue...