Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: If I can run GC, does that mean I'll be able to run Wii?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just curious. I know the requirements and I do meet them, but the Wii is still a bit more powerful than the GC. Just because I can run GC, does that mean I'll have similar success with the Wii or not?
trial and error
Depends heavily on the game. The only real upgrade to the system specs for the Wii (besides underlying stuff that's not terribly important) was the processor and memory, which means that the Wii boasts a bit more crunch time in terms of logic. The GPU remains largely unchanged, so if it works well for you now, Wii games will most likely look the same.

I've found that it varies based on the developer. Wii Sports and Wii Play, being very simple games, run great for me. I'm getting Mario Kart Wii running around 30-40 FPS in most levels, it's NTSC so it should be running at around 60. However, I'm not getting any GC games that are doing any better really, the only two I have that go near fullspeed are Melee and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Wii games for the most part *work*, in that they emulate accurately enough to get ingame and "play" most of the time, but until Wii emulation is understood and the dev team switches over into hardcore optimization for speed mode (which won't happen until the system is understood a lot better) I wouldn't expect stellar performance in Wii games.

As mentioned though, try it out. Wii games that I know work well are Brawl (PAL), Mario Kart Wii, and Play/Sports, anything else is a grab bag.