Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Spam Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm getting really tired of the bots that register and spam links in their signatures and there seems to be a lot of bots registering and posting threads such as this thread:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-9061.html

This is getting really obnoxious and it seems to be getting worse. What about implementing Recaptcha and a question/verification system and picking questions that only humans would be able to answer?

This might also work as well:

http://mods.mybboard.net/view/stopforums...m-for-mybb

Of course it won't prevent spammers from registering that aren't on their list which is why I'd advise also implementing Recaptcha and question/answer verification in addition to the plugin I linked to above.
I agree on that. I did try on implementing strict countermeasures against pill and prawn bots posting junk all over my turf. Asking for a specific question on registration may turn off some legit users, but with shrewd madmen on the web, I had no choice but to go for a more aggressive tactic.
as long as it keeps away the bots Tongue
If adding Question and Answer to the Registration is gonna drive off member's I don't see why it would matter to be honest. If they don't feel like they can type something rather simple in to the box then they have no reason to register (That's just me of course and am rather Blunt and harsh when I speak sometimes)
So any of the staff care to comment about this? This would help cut down on most of these annoying bots so I feel it's worth implementing. It shouldn't pose an annoyance to genuine members and recaptcha's + question and answer verification is slightly more legible than the normal captcha's as well as more effective.
The problem seems to be that there is no one here that really cares about the forum. Everyone who can do something about the problem is too busy writing code for the emulator. I really can't blame them, as the emulator is what's most important, but at some point there has to be someone here to secure the forum for the rest of us.
Tongue Everyone is lazy here.
If only that I could volunteer as a mod here.
(05-08-2010, 06:17 PM)blakegriplingph Wrote: [ -> ]If only that I could volunteer as a mod here.

They know what they're doing, they'll call forth a new moderator when needed.
Billiard seems to be doing a decent job atm.
These changes would require an admin to make, not a moderator. While a moderator is able to ban these spammers after they've registered and posted their spam, why not prevent most of them from registering and posting spam in the first place so there is less work for the moderators?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5