Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Curious had some ?'s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

paradox6996

Was curious as to what the dolphin can currently emulate. I play with the pscx2 and get frames anywhere from 40-60 fps. Can the dolphin play majority of games out there and what are the emu speeds. I know that the speeds are obviously based on your computer hardware, so I'll post my specs to prevent the question that will be asked!

Thanx Paradox(>")>

Amd Athlon X2 5600+
Asus M2N Sli-Deluxe
Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
4GB DC 1600 Ram
WD 16MB SATA-3.0 320GB HD
Windows 7 @ 1360x768 60HZ
64 bit win7 or 32 bit? That cpu is going to give you performance issues with higher end games. But most games will run well. Unfortunately most of the games that require high end rigs to get good framerates on are the most popular games, zeldas and metroids for example require very high end rigs to get decent framerates on.

paradox6996

(05-06-2010, 04:08 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]64 bit win7 or 32 bit? That cpu is going to give you performance issues with higher end games. But most games will run well. Unfortunately most of the games that require high end rigs to get good framerates on are the most popular games, zeldas and metroids for example require very high end rigs to get decent framerates on.

Cool cool, was going to update my rig at the end of the month to the 3.2G Quad core amd, so hopefully that should be good enough. Thanx fpr the input tho!
I would also recommend using 64 bit windows 7, 64 bit dolphin builds run A LOT faster than 32 bit builds.
It can give you 5-10 FPS+ Big Grin!!
Having used both extensively for long, IMO dolphin is overall more advanced than the pcsx2 in terms of compatibility and quality issues. Dolphin is already at the stage where newly released games sometimes work flawless & there has been no optimizing or hacks done for them at all.

PCSX2 requires a ton of speed hacks, emotionengine tweaks, etc. to run even some old games like god of war II correctly. Many classic games will still crash or hang, or there will be screen artifacts during gameplay. Some games also can't be rendered in 1080p without having the field break in different segments which looks ugly (Like Tekken 5). On the whole, PCSX2 is a much more sophisticated emulator with more options that affect the experience, but that doesn't translate to better gameplay.
And your point is? I can run most games fine, even newly released one, in pcsx2 with no problem or performance issue at all, both emulator have come a long way and many devs have spend a lot of time perfecting it, in their spare time with no pay.

Be thankful, there's no need to bitch.
That wasn't a complaint. I wrote minor c++ commits on the linux version, since 2008 and some memory card fixes for windows when dev introduced playground. I didn't even know of the dolphin project back then. It is just a fact that emulating the PS2 is harder than emulating gc or wii games because even if it's an old system, you have to synchronise multiple cpu chips (compared to just one with Nintendo systems) and the EE & a built-in virtual machine for the HW flawlessly.

Playing gc/wii games on the PC is easier on the pc and in general requires less system power than playing PS2 games. That's not to say both emulators aren't great; They are. But the thread starter was making comparisons to pcsx2.