Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game slow, but not using all my processor power
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(04-26-2009, 04:37 AM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]define patch.

Gothic 3 1.7 community patch.
my torrent client is used for animes... me having a torrent client doesnt mean its used for piracy

anyway be carrefull with hypocrisy

btw... its the pal version, this one, but still the game feels kinda slow, the scrrenshot was made on a good frame , usualy it runs at 39-45, and sometimes 50

my intention with the post is maybe pointing some kind of bug, that maybe more juice can be got from it.

as an exemple is the pcsx2 wich runned persona 3(ntsc) slow and the processor wasnt being fully used, then the guys have done some implementations and now it runs faster with some slowdowns but still doesnt uses full cpu available.

sometimes the game hits 60 fps and then it feels real speed, anyway, i know dolphin is incomplete, but im trying to made a contribution here as beta testing...

edit: also the game only reach for 50 fps when no other characters are on screen, still cpu use is the same
the smg hack only gets rid of the black square if used with efb turned on, wich steals like 10 fps of the game, and it also gets rid of many elements of the HUD, like the item and place dysplay.
the game is also umplayable on multplayer as it hits only 15-20 fps, and still cpu usage still the same, 80%
again, this is for beta testing purposes.
That's really odd, it would be too rushed to say that there is a bottleneck somewhere with the cpu or the gpu, even your motherboard seems to be good enough, probably the counters are wrong, but if you see them going 100% in other cases...

I can also see you already tweaked your OS.
Have you tried running Dolphin with ONLY one of the video cards? As far as i know, dual gpu setups depend a lot on profiles and so and that might be causing problems with the emulator.
Is THAT slow???

Dude, when i first tried to run Sonic Adventure 2: Battle i had no more then 6 (!!!!!!) FPS...
(04-26-2009, 01:56 AM)cmccmc Wrote: [ -> ]another pirate. don't show people you have a torrent downloader on your pc.

Undecided Really folks, that's just a bit lame. Just because I have a torrent program doesn't mean I download games. To be truthful, I try to download ocremix songs through mine most often, to avoid using bandwidth on their server. I don't think it's right to jump on someone's case just for having a file sharing program.

In any case, to the original poster: 50 FPS is pretty incredible speed, especially for the more complex levels. I can't usually get above 40FPS unless the level is really simple graphics wise (not a card issue, but the vertex processor hates my CPU) so you're doing just fine in comparison. Mario Kart Wii PAL I think runs right at 50FPS, but I could be wrong. I noticed that a lot of Wii PAL games seem to have an option to run in either mode.

If the game feels really slow to you still, I find that running with EFB copy off during the races/menus can help out a bit, although it's not by much.

I'm most concerned with the topic of your post though. You mention something about processor power, but you circled your FPS. They're unrelated, "FPS", which is shown, is frames per second, or literally how many times a second the screen is changing to produce the illusion of motion within the game. A real Wii changes the screen 50-60 times a second depending on your region, so if your FPS counter is right at 50 or 60, odds are you're playing fullspeed. That's pretty rare in Dolphin, since even with a powerful box the emulation is just too complex to really pull off full speed right now except with a few games.

If you want to see how much processor Dolphin is using, best tool for that would be the good ole Windows Task Manager, which you can pull up with Ctrl+Shift+Esc. That will pop a meter up on your taskbar, more green = more CPU being used right now. Dolphin usually runs this meter full steam ahead unless it's doing something really simple like a logo screen. Remember, if Dolphin *isn't* playing fullspeed, it *is* trying to catch up at all times, so it's using the processor basically nonstop. It only gets some slack when it's able to emulate the wii's processor faster than the Wii itself can run code, which won't happen for a while.

EDIT: I just saw red-circle number two at the 85% mark, and I feel like an idiot for talking down to you. My deepest appologies, but I'll leave the info up in case anyone else finds it informative. Yes, you're probably already running fullspeed at the PAL 50Hz framerate then, which would explain the processor not being used up. If you're really concerned about performance though, go the task manager, right click on the Dolphin process, and set it's priority to High or Realtime. This will ensure that windows is giving Dolphin full priority.

LuisR14

(04-26-2009, 05:27 PM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]Just because I have a torrent program doesn't mean I download games.
yea i was about to say that Tongue (stupid internet explorer had to crash on me Dodgy), just because someone has a torrent downloader doesn't mean that he downloads games through it, and as it is said at pcsx2 forums Tongue "no witch hunting". xP

JimmyCripps

(04-26-2009, 01:56 AM)cmccmc Wrote: [ -> ]another pirate. don't show people you have a torrent downloader on your pc.

Don't just assume he's using it illegally, it is possible to use it legitamately and even if he wasn't it's hardly going to lead to a knock on his door...Confused
Pages: 1 2