Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can understand the need for ads and the need for the site to allow ads, but can we get rid of the damn E-Harmony talking-ads that annoy they hell outta you every time you happen to locate your mouse pointer on it? Going with something more quiet and less bothersome is probably a better way to go.

Ditch the talking online dating site ad, please.
Maybe its just me but I never see any ads. It could be that i'm running ad block plus and script block. Maybe star, you should see about getting some plugins for firefox (if you are using firefox) to take care of any ads you see.

http://adblockplus.org/en/

http://noscript.net/

2 godsend plugins. You should have no problems then star.

LuisR14

the dolphin can't control what's in the ads Tongue, so use those 2 links jedi gave you Smile
I guess that is the answer. Either that or start online dating through E-Harmony. Smile
(05-01-2010, 10:48 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I guess that is the answer. Either that or start online dating through E-Harmony. Smile

So is this a grievance or a suggestion? Your first post was somewhat of a complaint, but it seems you decided to take another's advice for once. Were you trying to achieve something? Must we all download firefox to bypass this annoyance?

Nice funny btw i didn't think you had a sense of humor. Smile
I can't tell you if downloading those plugins helped or not since I have not done it myself, but I have taken up online dating and now have run into a whole new set of problems that a simple Firefox plugin cannot help fix. Smile
I personally whitelist ads for those who I want to help support. Needless to say I've had a similar issue recently except there are ads that are trying to get me to run a PDF file, that is likely infected with malware.

However I'm trying to find an alternative way to remedy this without blocking ads on this forum. AdBlock seems to want to block every ad in existence, not sure how I would block or allow specific ads from specific advertisers.
(05-01-2010, 11:23 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I can't tell you if downloading those plugins helped or not since I have not done it myself, but I have taken up online dating and now have run into a whole new set of problems that a simple Firefox plugin cannot help fix. Smile
Sounds personal.

(05-01-2010, 12:06 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]I personally whitelist ads for those who I want to help support. Needless to say I've had a similar issue recently except there are ads that are trying to get me to run a PDF file, that is likely infected with malware.

However I'm trying to find an alternative way to remedy this without blocking ads on this forum. AdBlock seems to want to block every ad in existence, not sure how I would block or allow specific ads from specific advertisers.
That would be a nifty tool, to be able to block a certain source and not all. As for your odd predicament, I do not think it is related to this forum.
It's definitely a few ads that are being displayed here that are responsible. As soon as the page loads and either of the ads loads, it tries to run a PDF file.

This is very likely, malware authors constantly try to sneak infected ad banners in and infect PC's of users browsing the sites the ad banners are displayed on and the PDF format seems to be the new popular way for them to do this.
(05-01-2010, 05:19 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]It's definitely a few ads that are being displayed here that are responsible. As soon as the page loads and either of the ads loads, it tries to run a PDF file.

This is very likely, malware authors constantly try to sneak infected ad banners in and infect PC's of users browsing the sites the ad banners are displayed on and the PDF format seems to be the new popular way for them to do this.

Sorry for doubting you, it might be region specific as you said in your other thread.