Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is it legal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

petercrab

Is it legal to play wii/gamecube game on dolphin if I buy the game, but I do not own the console?
Although it is very unlikely that someone buys a game for the solely purpose of playing it on Dolphin, yes it is legal to make a backup copy of your game and use it with Dolphin (unless your specific country laws are against this).
As long as you don't download the game ( even if you own it ) you will be fine
^^^^^yep, what they said.
I think you should have to own the console, but that opinion is not a fact.
(04-25-2010, 03:14 PM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I think you should have to own the console, but that opinion is not a fact.
Except if you need the system menu or the DSP files, in that case it is a fact Tongue
(04-25-2010, 10:15 AM)petercrab Wrote: [ -> ]Is it legal to play wii/gamecube game on dolphin if I buy the game, but I do not own the console?

its even legal in some countries to use a friends game. even if the friend lives on the other side of the world and needs to upload it first
(04-25-2010, 09:06 PM)qlum Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2010, 10:15 AM)petercrab Wrote: [ -> ]Is it legal to play wii/gamecube game on dolphin if I buy the game, but I do not own the console?

its even legal in some countries to use a friends game. even if the friend lives on the other side of the world and needs to upload it first
If it requieres internet to get the game, then no , it's not legal
This area is very grey. Its illegal to tape a program off the TV and keep it for over a week.
Its also illegal to rent a DVD and then take it to a friends house to watch. Copy write law is outdated and confusing.
It depends on the country where you live. For example, here in France, I think I can say that emulating a commercial game is illegel, even if you own the actual game and the console, because it forces you to break the game protection, what isn't allowed by the law. But if you find a way to emulate the game without breaking its protection, then it's legal.
Pages: 1 2