Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: extracted Wii videos don't show properly in thpPlay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I always thought that there was no way to watch wii videos until I found thpPlay on the interwebs. Amazingly it plays nearly all gamecube games and wii videos that have the thp extension. I got so into it that I started extracting videos with wiiscrubber and most of them didn't play or were clipped awkwardly... here are some pics...

[Image: shot0001vt.jpg] [Image: shot0004u.jpg]

These clips are from Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (U). The audio plays perfectly but the issue is the video. Something's wrong with these videos and I don't know what it is. I also found buggy videos in Punch Out and Smash Bros Brawl.

Some videos even appear to be blank and thpPlay won't even play them. After some investigating I found out that the ffmpeg group incorporated THP decoding into their pack which meant that mplayer could also reproduce these videos. It's damn bad luck that the video shows exactly as in thpPlay and to top it off the decoding isn't even perfect (it skips some frames at certain intervals making the audio get unsyncedExclamation). I was thinking that it might have something to do with the cIOS on the console not having the necessary functions to allow the backup loader to rip a 1:1 copy of a game... but if so then it wouldn't play on the console either when it actually does. I don't know much about the IOSes to keep on guessing... Tongue

I then tried using Dolphin's file browser to extract the same file to see if it was the program doing the extraction that was buggy. The resulting video file played exactly the same and it even had the same CRC32. Then, just for kicks and to frustrate myself a bit more I decided to run the iso on Dolphin and much to my surprise the video played well when it came up.Angry

Does anybody know what's going on? Plz...
If I remember correctly , the videos from SSBB worked fine ( The intro at least , except for the beginning , that thpplay showed black becasue It needed the character info )

EDIT: Yup , They work. Tested in ThpPlay 1.5
Is there a file that everybody has in common that I could use to compare? Out of all the THPs in my smash bros disc, probably only 10 of them are playable. The rest don't even play.
(04-22-2010, 11:22 AM)James333 Wrote: [ -> ]the videos from SSBB worked fine ( The intro at least

I just noticed this! Tongue What did you mean by "at least"? Are there videos that don't function properly that even thpPlay won't reproduce them?

Here is a video I extracted using WiiXplorer from my Brawl retail disc, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SK0BQO06 (<1MB). When I open it in thpPlay (1.5) no audio or video will be displayed. I get the same file when extracting from the disc image with Dolphin (and it's not because of the filesize, there are 40+MB THPs that just go blank as wellDodgy). It's worth commenting that when the file is played in mplayer/smaplyer it won't play either but when looking at the clip properties no info is shown, not even resolution. It's like it's missing its header or something like that. Idea

Does somebody have this exact video and has successfully extracted it? Sad
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I just want to make sure that Smash Bros Brawl is in fact NOT 100% playable from a backup launcher or emulator. My main reason for believing this is that no Wii tool has successfully extracted specific content from the disc. What's more, if I try to play this content the game just crashes. I've tried it by playing the THPs within the game that are not extractable. These are the ones that ARE extractable:

01-00.thp
03-01.thp
04-00.thp
04-02.thp
09-00.thp
09-01.thp
10-02.thp
16-01P.thp
16-01Z.thp
27-00.thp
28-00.thp
28-01.thp
28-02.thp
32-00.thp
33-00.thp
33-01.thp
37-00.thp
37-02.thp
HowtoPlay.thp
OPMovie.thp

If anybody can play any other THP, could you explain to me how? In return, many female virgin followers and +6 worship points. Tongue
Tell me the names of some of the "corrupted" THP files , if I can play them then is your dump ( Of SSBB of course )
You've apparently got a corrupted dump. All the movies work fine for me.