Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I got this error"could not initialize backend dsound"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
x61 win 7 32bit
I have ran dolphin successfully before.
But today I got this error "could not initialize backend dsound" "Sound backend DSound is not valid" "Error starting up sound stream"
I have used google but found no solution.
I have my audio driver updated.
Help
Probably it's sound driver related, try updating it. Also try updating DirectX.
(04-22-2010, 01:37 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably it's sound driver related, try updating it. Also try updating DirectX.

audio driver and directx is up to date Sad

LuisR14

probably the sound card/chip isn't compatible with DirectSound8? o_o
(04-24-2010, 11:22 AM)LuisR14 Wrote: [ -> ]probably the sound card/chip isn't compatible with DirectSound8? o_o

There's no problem when running on win xp and it was OK serveral months ago.....

Weasel Spunk

I have this problem too.

It occurred before on an early revision (about 1000 maybe 2000+ ago) and I found out that it was the GC controller plugin that was causing it. It seemed that dolphin wasn't initializing the controller plugin (or rather the drop down menu was blank if i remember correctly) until I selected it in the "plugins" tab in the general configuration menu. The audio error seemed to go away after that. Sounds strange I know, but that's what fixed it at the time.

I have no idea what revision that was, but it must have been around the time when the GC controller plugin was changing from the old one to the new one and the old one was completely removed from the build, unless this was done by the builder.

However, it seems now that all the plugins have been integrated into the dolphin.exe, so you can't select which plugins to use anymore.

I thought it maybe a registry problem, but deleting all registry keys pertaining to dolphin didn't fix it.

My sound card drivers are up-to-date. They are the generic realtek HD drivers 2.52. Directx is updated to the latest version, the June 2010 release. To be exact it's version 4.09.0000.0904

Is there anyway to tell dolphin which sound device to use? For example, Winamp allows you to select the audio device to use in the preferences. I looked over the .cfg files and couldn't find any configurations for sound (other then the basic settings that are in configuration menu in dolphin).

Thanks

*Edit*

Stupid me, it seems it was a problem with Comodo's defense portion of their software. Funny thing is I tired xtrem's version and Comodo gave me pop-up saying that it isolated dolphin.exe. Which didn't happen before. Then I tired to the revision I was having problems with, and it gave me the same pop-up and another one that said dolpin was trying to hook into Dinput. So that seems to be the problem. Disregard anything I said above.

So if the OP has comodo, or something similar, make sure you allow dolphin.exe in the exceptions list of your security software.