Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slowing Down Games / Limiting Frame Rate.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TheNoel

I was wondering whether there is a way to limit the frame rate within Dolphin.

My GPUs are so powerful that Melee runs too quickly.
I'm hoping I have no similar problem with Brawl.

I've already tried turning up antialiasing and other options in an attempt to tax the GPU a little more, but that caused frame dropping.
Try to disable Idle Skipping. Also Dolphin is CPU dependant, not GPU. Your GPU won't make difference in performance.
a FPS limiter would be excellent, i just created my own Wind Waker iso and it runs at 60 in some small maps and areas its almost too fast to play. that, and my melee also runs much too fast.

TheNoel

(04-23-2009, 10:54 PM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Try to disable Idle Skipping. Also Dolphin is CPU dependant, not GPU. Your GPU won't make difference in performance.

Therein lies the problem, I suppose.
When I disable dual-core, it becomes too slow.
Enable it, and it becomes too fast.

Brawl seems to work pretty well though. Just the right speed. Smile
Dolphin doesn't have a terribly good Throttle mechanism. I'm not sure why really, but Melee is the least stable of them all for me, in terms of speed. It sort of depends on the level I'm playing on, but I'll get some that play just right, and others that play way too fast. Fountain of dreams is always too slow, but I think that's the reflection in the water doing that...

The "most stable" settings to play with I've found (with dual core) are to disable Idle Skipping (you can do this regardless of the dual core setting) and to make sure that the audio throttle option is on in the DSP plugin. Idle Skipping being disabled has the effect of forcing Dolphin to emulate the processor no faster than the Wii's real clock speed. With it on, Dolphin will emulate the processor just as fast as it can, and only slow down based on the other system timings, which as I understand it are emulated a bit inaccurately right now, leading to your issues.

This may sound silly, but doesn't it seem that an FPS limiter would be something you handled in the Graphics Plugin, and not with audio or CPU? It seems that if you wanted, you could set a hard, literal max frames rendered per second. I don't know if this is planned though, I understand how you would do it with a pure DirectX or OpenGL application, but I don't know how Dolphin handles timing with regards to its video emulation, so there may be other complications that I don't know about preventing it from being this simple.

LuisR14

(04-25-2009, 01:39 AM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't it seem that an FPS limiter would be something you handled in the Graphics Plugin
nope, it's something that should be handled in the emu, but it can be implemented in the graphics plugin Smile (and i'm not sure about the audio plugin, but it surely works like that on iDeaS Tongue)