Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Companies fighting piracy costs them more money in the end?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Bounty4321

So a friend of mine and myself had a discussion about this and think i came up with a pretty good point, just curious as to other peoples thoughts. Basically im going to use the Nintendo Wii as an example, you could pretty much use the same arguement for PC games with securom etc. My arguement was that if Nintendo did not make the Wii Discs so difficult for Dvd drives to read they not lose as much money on software sales. This is due to the fact that someone would have a Wii, download Dolphin, and pop their favorite Wii game into their PC DVD drive only to find out that they have to have a special drive or dump the game from their Wii itself. Now what i said was the average person would look at that and say screw it and just download a torrent, and i know most people would rather try to be legit as possible but its kinda hard when people are put in that situation and like most take the lazy way out.

Sorry if i did not explain this well i had a few booze in my when i made this statement lol
If you mean the person donwloading a game after they've bought it, even if that's illegal, it doesn't mean a loss in sales. Downloads in itself doesn't cause companies losses, only when people download something they would have bought if this didn't have the option to download it. While I agree that the backward reading of Nintendo's DVDs doesn't do anything to reduce piracy, as they can still be burned on normal DVDs, it's not like they could even predict people would have a need to rip their own games for legal use (This is activity Nintendo doesn't apporve of anyway)
Piracy wasn't as big an issue for Nintendo when they still used Cartridges
All anti piracy protections are just waste of money. Any protection is going to get cracked soon or later.

(04-16-2010, 09:01 PM)ugoo Wrote: [ -> ]Piracy wasn't as big an issue for Nintendo when they still used Cartridges

I think it was more lack of internet than cartridges. Look at DS, it's using cartridges and people are playing pirated games on it.
(04-17-2010, 12:13 AM)matejdro Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2010, 09:01 PM)ugoo Wrote: [ -> ]Piracy wasn't as big an issue for Nintendo when they still used Cartridges

I think it was more lack of internet than cartridges. Look at DS, it's using cartridges and people are playing pirated games on it.
this

i dont know about n64/nes dumping but snes is pretty much easy as fuck.

also, im locking this before this gets out of hand cause the topic is just retarded unless you lack common sense.
yes it could cost them more the piracy itself but look at it like an investment. that, im locking this before some piracy comes in here shouting " LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL PIRATING FTW" (and we all -KNOW- that post is going to happen, hell if this was gbafail the first post would have been that)
go pirate my dick and choke on it if you thought that

EDIT: if you disagree and want it opened again poke me in a pm and ill consider it.
mods, if you wanna open it feel free to do so; but wanna bet that post will happen sooner or later?