Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Linux tip : disabling Pulseaudio helps a lot...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

on my setup, uninstalling Pulseaudio helped a lot : speed used to vary from 50 to 100%, with many gaps in the sound output (only OSS worked, there was a strange 10 seconds delay when using ALSA).

After uninstalling the pulseaudio server ("pasuspender" wasn't enough apparently), I now have a stable 100% of speed and a perfect sound output.

What do you think ? Apart from this app, I had no problem with Pulseaudio (ubuntu lucid lynx beta). Is there a way to improve it in the future so that people don't have to remove PA ?

Congrats to the devs & thanks for supporting linux !
cheers
BTW, I have 2 other remarks :

- when launching a game, I get a popup window saying : "error loading : can't find file". But the game actually works Smile If I click on "OK", it quits the emulator with a segfault. Any idea ?

- when using the double resolution mode, the right part of the screen is corrupt
Not related to the PA stuff, but is it really that error message? the error message should actually contain the filename as well (which would be pretty useful to know of course...)
EDIT: could be something with your config as well, try with a new one
Hi Neobrain,

the whole message is "error loading : can't find file" which is not very explanatory indeed Smile

It's not that bad because I can use the emulator -- the only thing I can't do is come back to the GUI after the game is launched.

Cheers !
Oh well, I'm using glennric's Ubuntu Repository (build 5394 ATM), and it's now working very well. No more error message, no more corruption in "double resolution mode", etc.

https://launchpad.net/~glennric/+archive/dolphin-emu
Hmm, there's still something strange though.

Sound is not perfect. For instance, in MK DD, it sounds like there's something missing in the music. I tried the windows build of Dolphin via WINE, and sound is perfect here ! (although the emulation is a little slower).

(using ALSA output, pulseaudio deactivated ; AOSS output doesn't work properly -- sound is cut / slowed down / not synchronized...)

Also, I'm using the HLE audio plugin -- LLE crashes instantly.